Pages

My blog has been changed to make it more appealing for those who have New England ancestors and want to see the area through photos. Things I’ll include are typical white New England churches, libraries showing their genealogical collection, historical societies, cemeteries, war memorials, in general, anything to do with history.

For four years I’ve blogged mostly about my personal genealogy in New England (Connecticut, Massachusetts, Vermont, and New Hampshire), New York, New Jersey, Michigan, Illinois, Wisconsin, and the Eastern Townships of Quebec, Canada. I still will, can’t forget my own roots.

Please check out the labels on the right side for articles. The header tabs at the top are a work in progress.

Wednesday, October 14, 2015

What a Great site for Free Canadian Records

The Library and Archives Canada (LAC) is an excellent site if you are doing Canadian research. However, for me, all of my Canadian research was done a time-consuming way, by trekking into Boston (a 3 hr.  round trip) and doing the look-ups by hand, using a crank microfilm reader. No computers were used then. Recently, I learned that the call numbers for the documents I found at NEHGS are not the same as for LAC. I was also told that the call numbers from the LDS FamilySearch site will be different, if and when they are put online. In my previous post about locating my Loyalist's  Canadian land records at NEHGS, I'm showing you now how I found that file on this free site.  First go to the Library and Archives Canada site at http://www.bac-lac.gc.ca/eng/Pages/home.aspx.
Select Popular Topics, then choose Digitized Microform list. That opens to  Browse by Type (shown below).


It is a long list, and is continued below. You can see the 3 sites I was looking at.

Click on the Database you need. I chose Land Petitions of Lower Canada, 1764-1841.  It opens to the page below. Click on the Search Database link.

On this Search page, enter your surname, or your given name as well. I usually do just the surname.


Your next page will give you the results, if your name is in the database.
You may have more than one name or similar name show up in the results. Teneick is often written instead of Ten Eyck. Click on the item number you want. My record is shown below.

The above page shows the same page that was transcribed in my post of earlier today. Please see: The Father and two Sons, Their Loyalist Documentation, and my Loyal Cousin.


You can also search free indexed records on the www.FamilySearch.org site. Below is what I found on October 14, 2015 and can currently, be seen at https://familysearch.org/search/collection/location/1929950?region=Canada&englishRegion=Canada

 Below are images only, no index.


5 comments:

Cindy said...

Thank you for the resource. Can you please check the link? It did not work correctly for me. Thanks.

CoffeeMom said...

I look forward to viewing the records you mentioned. Thank you for the pointer! Unfortunately, you provided the wrong link for the Library Archives Canada. The link should be: http://www.bac-lac.gc.ca/eng/Pages/home.aspx The one in your post is for the Legal Action Center.

Barbara Poole said...

Thank you Cindy and CoffeeMom. I'm very sorry about the link. Guess I shouldn't work on 3 blogs at the same time. (Another one on a different subject will be posted today.) Regarding the above, and the one about my Loyalist ancestor had two minor changes, and of course the one you both mentioned.

Jana Last said...

Barbara,

I want to let you know that two of your blog posts are listed in today's Fab Finds post at http://janasgenealogyandfamilyhistory.blogspot.com/2015/10/follow-friday-fab-finds-for-october-16.html

Have a great weekend!

Barbara Poole said...

Jana thank you so much and to think you liked two of them, that's double the appreciation.