Pages

The Life From The Roots blog topics have changed several times since I began this blog in 2009. I initially wrote only about the family history I had been working on for 20 years. Years later, I was into visiting gardens, historical homes, churches, libraries that had genealogical collections, historical societies, war memorials, and travel/tourism places. I also enjoy posting autographs and photos of famous people I've met or have seen.

Along with my New England roots, other areas include New York, New Jersey, Michigan, Illinois, Wisconsin, and the Eastern Townships of Quebec, Canada.

Please check out the labels on the right side for topics (please note, they need work). Below the labels and pageviews is a listing of my top nine posts, according to Google. Four of them pertain to Lowell, MA. These posts change often because they are based on what people are reading.

Saturday, March 26, 2011

Surname Report -- Saturday Night Genealogy Fun

It has been a long time since I participated in Randy Seaver's Saturday Night Genealogy Fun project. But I'm game tonight. Lots of fun and interesting. His instructions were:


1)  Go into your Genealogy Management Program (GMP; either software on your computer, or an online family tree) and figure out how to Count how many surnames you have in your family tree database.

2)  Tell us which GMP you're using and how you did this task.

3)  Tell us how many surnames, and if possible, which Surname has the most entries.  If this excites you, tell us which surnames are in the top 5!

4)  Write about it in your own blog post, in a comment to this blog post, or in a status or comment on Facebook.



It is rather interesting that Randy and I are almost the same when it comes to total of names. I have 39,849 per RootsMagic and my RootsWeb tree. He and I are also cousins several times, so share a few surnames.


To do my report, I used RootsMagic4 and located the Create a Report option, then the Lists and found the Surname Statistics list, then the Frequency of surnames. Within seconds I had a report of 98 pages. Fortunately, no unknowns because I list the women with the husbands, as Mary w/o John Westover.


In my list below, the last two names, Adams and Poole were probably numbers 15 and 19, but since I wanted to display them for my benefit, so I deleted other names (Davis, Hess, Lay, Cressey, Bockus, Cross, Newell, Steevens, Mead, Wilder, Fitch and Wyckoff).



SURNAME
ALL
MALES
FEMALES
EARLIEST
LATEST
WESTOVER
   917
474   
436
1619
2008
SCRAMBLING
   610  
292
317
1695
2009
KELSEY
   460
233
227
1609
1970
TEN EYCK
   432
233
198
1617
2009
ADAMS
   202
102
100
1602
2008
POOLE
   198
102
 95
1609
1999