Pages

The Life From The Roots blog topics have changed several times since I began this blog in 2009. I initially wrote only about the family history I had been working on for 20 years. Years later, I was into visiting gardens, historical homes, churches, libraries that had genealogical collections, historical societies, war memorials, and travel/tourism places. I also enjoy posting autographs and photos of famous people I've met or have seen.

Along with my New England roots, other areas include New York, New Jersey, Michigan, Illinois, Wisconsin, and the Eastern Townships of Quebec, Canada.

Please check out the labels on the right side for topics (please note, they need work). Below the labels and pageviews is a listing of my top nine posts, according to Google. Four of them pertain to Lowell, MA. These posts change often because they are based on what people are reading.

Thursday, January 18, 2024

Claypit Cemetery in Lowell, Massachusetts (See the Changes)

 

Claypit Cemetery
810 Varnum Ave, Lowell, MA 01854

I always knew there was a cemetery in this area, but never saw it until October 4, 2020. The parking lot used to be the land for the outdoor Lowell Drive-In. I went there many years from the '60s to many years later, it was a popular theater and we all knew about the cemetery. It is located on the right side of the cream-colored Marshalls store (below). I went back to the cemetery on December 27, 2023, and what a surprise!

The one above and many below photos were taken on October 4, 2020. As you can see, painting for parking has not been done for the new Market Basket or Marshalls. Market Basket which opened on Friday, October 9, 2020.  Below there are two marked parking spaces for the cemetery.











The last time I saw the cemetery was on October 4, 2020, so I decided to walk around it on December 27, 2023. I was quite surprised to see a fence surrounding it.

I was curious, so I walked to the fence and opened the gate.
The first thing I saw were the holes! But where are the cemetery stones? I saw about 12 orange flag markers. I didn't walk around because of the stability of the ground. I never heard or read anything about this in the news, so clearly this was a surprise.


Taken January 19, 2024

Three websites with information about the cemetery. The first is an article from The Lowell Sun newspaper. The last two are from the Findagrave site which provided information about those buried there.

https://www.lowellsun.com/2019/10/08/the-debate-over-clay-pit-cemetery/

https://www.findagrave.com/cemetery/2222807/memorial-search?page=1#sr-32949082

https://www.findagrave.com/memorial/24824297/amanda-coburn