Pages

The Life From The Roots blog topics have changed several times since I began this blog in 2009. I initially wrote only about the family history I had been working on for 20 years. Years later, I was into visiting gardens, historical homes, churches, libraries that had genealogical collections, historical societies, war memorials, and travel/tourism places. I also enjoy posting autographs and photos of famous people I've met or have seen.

Along with my New England roots, other areas include New York, New Jersey, Michigan, Illinois, Wisconsin, and the Eastern Townships of Quebec, Canada.

Please check out the labels on the right side for topics (please note, they need work). Below the labels and pageviews is a listing of my top nine posts, according to Google. Four of them pertain to Lowell, MA. These posts change often because they are based on what people are reading.

Tuesday, March 1, 2022

The Librarian's Guide Might Help You With Your Research

First the background, then the forms

When I first wrote about this guide, The Librarian's Guide go Genealogical Services and Research in October 2010, I knew it was something that could help genealogists with their research. Over the years, I was always aware that people were looking at this blog post. Six months ago I was able to track how many people were looking at it out because I only wrote posts about the city I live in and that made it easy to look at the Google statistics. My Lowell posts were very high in readership, but I always saw at least  20-30 hits for this post in the top 10 for each day. The total of hits since 2010 per Google is over 3,400.

I recently purchased the book from Amazon, now out of print, and I lucked out with a brand new-looking book with a CD, it came from a library. So I decided to write about this guide again because of the interest many of us have in the 1950 census (being released on April 1, 2022). So, many hours were spent last week trying to get in touch with the publisher for permission to use the forms again. I couldn't find the author anywhere, and the publisher seems to have disappeared (Neal-Schuman Publishers, Inc.) but I learned it is now under the wing of the ALA (American Library Association). Well, it seems I know about that organization because my great, great grandfather was an early president of it. (William Frederick Poole). So, happily I called and left messages for the research department...four times and never heard back. Again, I called the main number and got a 25-year dedicated employee who told me I should be talking to the copyright department. Yes, well I left a message and nothing.

Fast forward to five days ago when I reread my initial post. Low and behold, per that post, "I indicated I wrote to the publisher for permission to share some examples with you. He responded today (Oct. 4, 2010), and wrote this: "This is fine. Please just add a line to each:  Reprinted with permission from <book title> by James Swan.  Copyright 2004 by James Swan.  All rights reserved. Based on this, I am sharing some forms that might help you. Some were from years ago and some from photos.

My two previous posts (Oct. 1, 2010, and Oct. 4, 2010) about the book are:

http://lifefromtheroots.blogspot.com/2010/10/follow-friday-librarians-guide-to.html 

I explain a lot about the book, table of contents, and where you can find it (WorldCat).

https://lifefromtheroots.blogspot.com/2010/10/librarians-guide-to-genealogical.html

I am not doing a review of the 356-page book because it is not in print. This is his sixth book. There are few websites listed, but I imagine many have been changed. Mr. Swan's forms are valuable to us and will be for many years.

All reprinted with permission from The Librarian's Guide to Genealogical Services and Research by James Swan.  Copyright 2004 by James Swan.  All rights reserved.

All reprinted with permission from The Librarian's Guide to Genealogical Services and Research by James Swan.  Copyright 2004 by James Swan.  All rights reserved.

All reprinted with permission from The Librarian's Guide to Genealogical Services and Research by James Swan.  Copyright 2004 by James Swan.  All rights reserved.

`
All reprinted with permission from The Librarian's Guide to Genealogical Services and Research by James Swan.  Copyright 2004 by James Swan.  All rights reserved.

All reprinted with permission from The Librarian's Guide to Genealogical Services and Research by James Swan.  Copyright 2004 by James Swan.  All rights reserved.

All reprinted with permission from The Librarian's Guide to Genealogical Services and Research by James Swan.  Copyright 2004 by James Swan.  All rights reserved.

All reprinted with permission from The Librarian's Guide to Genealogical Services and Research by James Swan.  Copyright 2004 by James Swan.  All rights reserved.

About 164 libraries in the United States have this book according to WorldCat.org.