Pages

The Life From The Roots blog topics have changed several times since I began this blog in 2009. I initially wrote only about the family history I had been working on for 20 years. Years later, I was into visiting gardens, historical homes, churches, libraries that had genealogical collections, historical societies, war memorials, and travel/tourism places. I also enjoy posting autographs and photos of famous people I've met or have seen.

Along with my New England roots, other areas include New York, New Jersey, Michigan, Illinois, Wisconsin, and the Eastern Townships of Quebec, Canada.

Please check out the labels on the right side for topics (please note, they need work). Below the labels and pageviews is a listing of my top nine posts, according to Google. Four of them pertain to Lowell, MA. These posts change often because they are based on what people are reading.

Tuesday, November 24, 2015

2 Blanchard Brothers, First Buried, 14 Tiffany Windows, Stone Bridge, Jay Leno's Parents, Andover and Medford, Massachusetts



When I discovered I had an 8th great-granduncle buried not too far from where I live, I knew I would have to visit the West Parish Cemetery in Andover, Massachusetts. The cemetery is huge and although I knew what the stone looked like, thanks to FindAGrave, I didn't know where it was located. Fortunately, I knew there was a small sign next to the stone, so that made the search easier. Within a short time, my husband found it. Written on the small Corian sign was, "Samuel Blanchard, April 23, 1707 First Burial in West Parish Cemetery and Oldest Stone in Andover."
HERE LYES Ye BODY OF
SAMUEL BLANCHARD
WHO DEPARTED THIS
LIFE ON Ye 22d OF APRIL
1707 IN Ye
78th YEAR OF HIS AGE
Ye MEMORY OF Ye JUST IS BLESSED

A few cemetery stones from this sign is the burial site for Jay Leno's parents. (See below.)

Site where Samuel Blanchard is buried is behind the 3 tall fur trees on the left.

Stone bridge on the property of West Parish Cemetery.

Chapel at West Parish, Andover, Massachusetts
(Photo taken in August.)

The lovely 1909 chapel has 14 Tiffany windows! "This chapel is one of only two churches built in the Commonwealth of Massachusetts with all of its windows made by the Louis Comfort Tiffany Studios of New York." *
Both of these rose windows are 10' in diameter.


Below are the six side windows (see the link above for the 14 Tiffany windows for an explanation of these pictorial windows).






The brother of Samuel (above) was George Blanchard and the following day, I went out to find out where he was buried.

My 8th great-grandfather, George Blanchard, was buried in the Salem Street Cemetery in Medford, Massachusetts. This line is new to me, and I was pleased that I could visit his grave as well. George Blanchard's daughter Rachel married John Smith and they settled in Killingworth, Connecticut. It is a town where I have the most events for my ancestors, the total is over 1,537.

HERE LYES Ye BODY OF
GEORGE BLANCHARD
AGED 84 YEARS DIED 
MARCH 18 1700
There are five ancestors buried in three different plots shown above. George Blanchard, Caleb Brooks, Nathaniel Wade, Mercy Bradstreet, and Samuel Wade. In addition, I have quite a few others buried here.

Unlocked gate to the cemetery.

*  http://westparishchapel.org/history.htm  History of the Chapel at West Parish including information about the Tiffany Windows.