Pages

The Life From The Roots blog topics have changed several times since I began this blog in 2009. I initially wrote only about the family history I had been working on for 20 years. Years later, I was into visiting gardens, historical homes, churches, libraries that had genealogical collections, historical societies, war memorials, and travel/tourism places. I also enjoy posting autographs and photos of famous people I've met or have seen.

Along with my New England roots, other areas include New York, New Jersey, Michigan, Illinois, Wisconsin, and the Eastern Townships of Quebec, Canada.

Please check out the labels on the right side for topics (please note, they need work). Below the labels and pageviews is a listing of my top nine posts, according to Google. Four of them pertain to Lowell, MA. These posts change often because they are based on what people are reading.

Wednesday, January 10, 2018

Chelmsford, MA Library and Historical Society Have a Lot to Offer Genealogists

Chelmsford Library aka Adams Library Chelmsford Public Library 
25 Boston Road, Chelmsford, MA USA 01824
Telephone: (978) 256-5521
https://www.chelmsfordlibrary.org

If you live near a library where your ancestors might have lived, and haven't visited it lately, you might be in for a nice surprise. I have been in perhaps 70 or more libraries in my lifetime, but this local library is the one I used when I was in high school, and is the go-to-library I use now for some genealogy research. I began this post with the intention of writing just about the Genealogy offerings of the Library. Then I went on to another topic, that of on-line yearbooks from 1920, then on to the last topic, that being the Chelmsford Historical Society, which has a fabulous page for everybody who has old, really old ancestors. Check it out. Makes me wish I had ancestors from this town. Oh, the top page of my blog, the header, is a photo of a cemetery in Chelmsford, I've used this photo for about seven years.


Local History Room

Back to the Library. Want to see what they offer? Go to their website and click on the Services tab, then select Family Search, History Library Affiliate which opens up to Genealogy and Obituaries.

The first section are the featured online resources.Researchers may use American Ancestors, Heritage Quest, and Ancestry Library edition. To be used at the Library. 

Other topics include:

Local History Room Circulating genealogy collection
. Chelmsford Newspapers Obituary Search...index to the Chelmsford    Newsweekly and Chelmsford Independent. (502 pages, beginning June 1940)
. Microfilm Periodicals
. Chelmsford Cemetery Archive (Search Burial Records)
___

On July 26, 2017, I received the following facebook message: 

"Chelmsford Public Library is collaborating with the Historical Society to make past CHS yearbooks available for free online, but we need your help! We're missing the following years:
1926, 1927, 1933, 1938, 1939, 1940, 1941, 1944, 1949, 1953, 1954, 1955, 1956, 1957, 1959, 1963, 1964, 1965, 1967, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1974, 1978, 1981, 1985, 1994, 1995, 1997, 2000
If you have a CHS yearbook from one of these years you'd like to donate to the library, just drop it off at the reference desk. If you'd like to help us out by allowing us to scan it, but would like the yearbook returned to you, just leave a note on it with your contact information and we'll let you know when the scanning is complete. Thank you all!"

*As of June 2018, there are 92 books available to look at online. No books are missing. Why not check out the various book covers. For those interested in the yearbooks online, here is the link of the downloadable PDF scans of CHS yearbooks.

I noticed my yearbook wasn't included, so I brought it to the Library to be scanned. Click on the Select a yearbook to view tab to search the year you want. Look at 1925, for a look into the past."


The third section is a page the Genealogy tab of Chelmsford Historical Society webpage, shown below, extra large because I want you to see some features, three are below:
Births and Baptisms to 1699
(PDF, 17 pages)

Cemetery Records to 2007
(PDF, 189 pages)

Vital Records to 1849
(Surname index page)
Mass. Vital Records Project

The Library tab offers Chelmsford Town Directories in searchable PDF format:


UPDATE: Printing, Copying, Scanning, Faxing
(2/3/19)
Below information from the Chelmsford Library.
"The library strives to meet the research and homework needs of our patrons, and this includes offering basic office supplies and services. Pencils and scrap paper are available throughout each library, and the Childrens, Young Adult, and Reference Desks also offer additional items."
https://www.chelmsfordlibrary.org/services/printing-copying-scanning-faxing/

I have decided not to use the Comment feature for my blog. If you would like to leave a comment for me or ask a question, please write me at my email: BarbaraPoole@Gmail.com. Thank you.

My reason is because since November 2017 to May 2018, I received no comments, but upon investigating I found that I had indeed received 167 legitimate ones and 1,000 were in the spam folder. Google Blogger had made some changes that I was unaware of.