Pages

The Life From The Roots blog topics have changed several times since I began this blog in 2009. I initially wrote only about the family history I had been working on for 20 years. Years later, I was into visiting gardens, historical homes, churches, libraries that had genealogical collections, historical societies, war memorials, and travel/tourism places. I also enjoy posting autographs and photos of famous people I've met or have seen.

Along with my New England roots, other areas include New York, New Jersey, Michigan, Illinois, Wisconsin, and the Eastern Townships of Quebec, Canada.

Please check out the labels on the right side for topics (please note, they need work). Below the labels and pageviews is a listing of my top nine posts, according to Google. Four of them pertain to Lowell, MA. These posts change often because they are based on what people are reading.

Sunday, December 6, 2009

A Bradstreet, A Dudley, and Royalty Part 1

Simon Bradstreet and Anne Dudley, they were an early original power couple.  Why?  Here is a Massachusetts Governor, 1679 to 1686 and 1689 to 1692, who married into a well connected family, and she became the first American Poetress, and whose ancestor was King Edward I, (and I just found that out the other day).


Simon Bradstreet and Anne Dudley were my 8th great-grandparents.


Simon born abt. March 18, 1603/04 from Horbling, Lincolnshire, England.
He died March 27, 1697 at Salem, Essex Co., Massachusetts.


Buried at Burying Point Cemetery also known as the Charter Street Cemetery is the oldest cemetery in Salem, and the second oldest known cemetery in the country, started in 1637.


Additional photos can be found at http://www.findagrave.com/cgi-bin/fg.cgi?page=gr&GRid=1723  There were many photos already posted, but I thought I would show mine.



A lot has been written about Simon, as he was one of many important men in Massachusetts history.  A quick google check will give you all the facts, 64,000 hits as of today.

My family group sheet for Simon and Anne Dudley is below.