The house is located in Lowell, Massachusetts, about a mile from where I live. Since Bette Davis is one of my favorite actresses, I still love knowing that she lived in Lowell for less than two years. Please see Wikipedia article.
|Photo taken May 2019 by Barbara Poole|
A few things I found interesting:
- In 1921, after seeing some movies, she she decided to become an actress and also changed the spelling of her name from Betty to Bette.
- Her first movie was the 1931 The Bad Sister, but her "big break" was in 1932 with her lead female role in The Man Who Played God. She was nominated 10 times for the Oscar in the Best Actress category, and won 8 times.
- After three failed marriages, she married Gary Merrill, who adopted one of her children. They then adopted two more.
- During that marriage, they visited Lowell to do a reading at the Lowell Memorial Auditorium. During this visit, Bette went to the City Hall for copies of her birth certificate.
- In her later years, she had a stroke and breast cancer. Bette died on October 6, 1989, age 81 in France and was buried in the Forest Lawn Cemetery in Hollywood.
- "Her son, Michael Merrill, attended the plaque unveiling and thanked people for honoring his mother."
1910 census page for Somerville, Massachusetts. Bette Davis was listed as Ruth E. age 2, born in Massachusetts.