Pages

The Life From The Roots blog topics have changed several times since I began this blog in 2009. I initially wrote only about the family history I had been working on for 20 years. Years later, I was into visiting gardens, historical homes, churches, libraries that had genealogical collections, historical societies, war memorials, and travel/tourism places. I also enjoy posting autographs and photos of famous people I've met or have seen.

Along with my New England roots, other areas include New York, New Jersey, Michigan, Illinois, Wisconsin, and the Eastern Townships of Quebec, Canada.

Please check out the labels on the right side for topics (please note, they need work). Below the labels and pageviews is a listing of my top nine posts, according to Google. Four of them pertain to Lowell, MA. These posts change often because they are based on what people are reading.

Sunday, November 28, 2010

Owl Hoot Maple Farm -- What Surprises Awaited Me

We, my husband and I, were in an area far from home and in an country he had never been. We passed a sign for the Owl Hoot Maple Farm and I knew I had to stop. Because I really love maple candy and syrup, we decided to check out the store. The owner, Dianne Jones came to the door, and invited us into her kitchen. Unfortunately, no candy was available, but within minutes, I found out a wealth of information.


I told her how my aunt once owned a 144 acre maple sugar farm many years ago, and Dianne asked her name. Yes, you guessed it, they had met. Pretty amazing, since Dianne was in Quebec, Canada and my aunt then lived in Vermont. I was already excited, until I learned that she knew a lot about my family genealogy, that being of the Ten Eyck line, and pointing to the large photo in her kitchen she said it was of the Ten Eyck property. That was thrilling. But, it gets better.


Since Dianne knew some of my genealogy (which I was in the process of discovering my Canadian roots in 1999), she verbally gave me some of her husband's lineage. Her husband, John is my 6th cousin! And, it get's better...their son is married to my 2nd cousin!


Throughout the years, Dianne and I have kept in touch, and sharing bits of information. My cousin called several times this fall expressing an interest in her ancestry. That was very exciting.  In one email, Dianne wrote, "Did you know our sugarbush is part of the first TenEyck settlers property. We still can see stone foundations of at least two building sites, and some old bricks that was used for a chimney."


For the past 18 years, Dianne and John have been hosting their Owl Hoot Sugaring Off Party in April, to raise money for the local hospital. Last year over 500 people attended.


Other link about the event.
Brome Missisquoi Perkins Hospital (additional pictures)
Below is the flyer I took from my visit in 1999, I'm so glad I saved it, and especially glad I stopped in.