Pages

The Life From The Roots blog topics have changed several times since I began this blog in 2009. I initially wrote only about the family history I had been working on for 20 years. Years later, I was into visiting gardens, historical homes, churches, libraries that had genealogical collections, historical societies, war memorials, and travel/tourism places. I also enjoy posting autographs and photos of famous people I've met or have seen.

Along with my New England roots, other areas include New York, New Jersey, Michigan, Illinois, Wisconsin, and the Eastern Townships of Quebec, Canada.

Please check out the labels on the right side for topics (please note, they need work). Below the labels and pageviews is a listing of my top nine posts, according to Google. Four of them pertain to Lowell, MA. These posts change often because they are based on what people are reading.

Monday, October 24, 2011

Administrator's Account on Financial Settlement -- For JOHN ADAMS 1792 - 1860

Sabra Adams, the widow of John Adams, my 3rd great-grandfather, is a mystery to me because I knew absolutely nothing about her. Not her last name, her age, where born, or where she went after John died. They married between 11 February 1858 and 31 May 1860 (John's death). I don't even know if it is she who is listed on the 1860 census of Stafford, Genesee Co., New York, living with the Ruben Ensign family. After her husband's death, there was a financial settlement of her husbands' estate.


The Administrator's Account on Financial Settlement of John Adams.


"Know all men by these presents that I Sabra Adams widow of John Adams late of the town of Stafford in the County of Genesee deceased for a valuable consideration received by me of Carlisle Adams, Liberty Adams, Mary Adams, Delight Benham and Grace Wilcox children and heirs at law and next of him of said John Adams deceased and of Isaac Gillett Administrator of the estate of said John Adams deceased hereby acknowledge receipt in full of my share of the personal estate of said John Adams deceased as well my distribution share of said estate as the estate provided by law to be set apart to the widow and children of deceased or to the widow. And I hereby release all my right title and interest in and to said personal estate and in and to such distributive share to the said Carlisle, Adams, Liberty Adams, Mary Adams, Delight Benham and Grace Wilcox and their assigns.

In witness whereof, I have hereunto set my hand and seal this eleventh day of June 1860.

Sabra Adams  (Seal)

Genesee County  __ On this 18th day of June 1860 before me Moses Jaggart County Judge of the County of Genesee personally appeared Sabra Adams to me known to be the ___."


(Note: The Settlement and Heirs of John Adams was posted on October,  2010.)





Schedule "A"

Schedule "A" "Contains a statement of all property in inventory, sold at a public or private sale with prices, also loss, and gain on each article, also statement of all debts due said estate collected and uncollectible, and the manner of disposition of all property inventoried."
Some interesting items are listed:
George Adams note (no idea who he is)
Balance on Henry Campbell's note (no idea who he is)
Thomas Downing's Note (no idea who he is)
Two mortgages against son Liberty Adams
The usual household items: bureau, table, jar of lard, about 30 lbs. and jar, bed, library, wearing apparel, 4 pictures and frames, and a Military suit.
I would love to learn more about the pictures and Military suit, which was inventoried at $1 and sold for .75. According to my information, he was not in the service, but his father was.

Schedules "E"  and "F"

Widow, Sabra Adams was paid $595.25. She was one of the six next-of-kin listed.


*
Settlement and Heirs of  JOHN ADAMS  1792 - 1860 posted October 4, 2011