My blog has been changed to make it more appealing for those who have New England ancestors and want to see the area through photos. Things I’ll include are typical white New England churches, libraries showing their genealogical collection, historical societies, cemeteries, war memorials, in general, anything to do with history.

For four years I’ve blogged mostly about my personal genealogy in New England (Connecticut, Massachusetts, Vermont, and New Hampshire), New York, New Jersey, Michigan, Illinois, Wisconsin, and the Eastern Townships of Quebec, Canada. I still will, can’t forget my own roots.

Please check out the labels on the right side for articles. The header tabs at the top are a work in progress.

Wednesday, October 5, 2011

Edna as a Flapper Girl -- Wordless Wednesday

Edna Smart, my step-grandmother.

7 comments:

Heather Rojo said...

This is so cute. I've been watching Ken Burn's "Prohibition" all week, and this photo fits right in!

Barbara Poole said...

If this was taken in 1920, Edna would be 19. Wish I knew the date. The sad thing is, her tombstone is shown in the previous post.

dee-burris said...

How cool to have the evidence that I bet a lot of our grandmothers didn't leave behind.

I always wonder if my ancestors followed trends - as in fashion, dance, etc.

You got some proof.

Patti said...

Love it! I was watching an old movie this week...a Prohibition-era gangster flick. The girls in that film were dressed just like she is!

Susan Clark said...

I do love this picture - such a smile!

Yvette Porter Moore said...

Love the photo..My grandmother was a Flapper Girl in Harlem, but unsure if there are photo's.

Will have to look at the photo's as you have got me curious.

I have never been aware of the attire, so I will need some help in identifying.

Barbara Poole said...

Thank you everybody for your comments. This is one of my more special photos, and I just received it two weeks ago. It proves, you never know when something will show up. Keep hoping, since, I think, your ancestors were around during that time.