Pages

The Life From The Roots blog topics have changed several times since I began this blog in 2009. I initially wrote only about the family history I had been working on for 20 years. Years later, I was into visiting gardens, historical homes, churches, libraries that had genealogical collections, historical societies, war memorials, and travel/tourism places. I also enjoy posting autographs and photos of famous people I've met or have seen.

Along with my New England roots, other areas include New York, New Jersey, Michigan, Illinois, Wisconsin, and the Eastern Townships of Quebec, Canada.

Please check out the labels on the right side for topics (please note, they need work). Below the labels and pageviews is a listing of my top nine posts, according to Google. Four of them pertain to Lowell, MA. These posts change often because they are based on what people are reading.

Wednesday, July 23, 2014

Salem Public Library, Salem, Massachusetts -- Genealogy and Local History Section



Before I got to the Library, I passed this 1785 house on the left.
Salem Public Library is located in the Historic District of Salem, Massachusetts in an 1855 renovated brick mansion originally owned by sea merchant John Bertram. (Information from Library site.)
Display about the Great Fire in June 1914.
Entrance to the History room. Did you notice the door? I saw all the usual Essex County genealogy books, I've used elsewhere. However, the reference librarian showed me an 1832 city directory, (for my family) that was held in another location, which was pretty nice. There were two computers for genealogists only, and each had subscription databases downloaded. They were Ancestry, Heritage Quest and NEHGS (AmericanAncestors). Behind the reference librarian are a large number of drawers with microfilm, but I wasn't allowed to photograph it!

Since I have quite a number of early Salem ancestors, I've used most of these books.



Main entrance, with great ceiling. This used to be a private residence.
The Library is on the left. I took this so you could see one of the many large homes on this street. It's a beautiful area.