Pages

The Life From The Roots blog topics have changed several times since I began this blog in 2009. I initially wrote only about the family history I had been working on for 20 years. Years later, I was into visiting gardens, historical homes, churches, libraries that had genealogical collections, historical societies, war memorials, and travel/tourism places. I also enjoy posting autographs and photos of famous people I've met or have seen.

Along with my New England roots, other areas include New York, New Jersey, Michigan, Illinois, Wisconsin, and the Eastern Townships of Quebec, Canada.

Please check out the labels on the right side for topics (please note, they need work). Below the labels and pageviews is a listing of my top nine posts, according to Google. Four of them pertain to Lowell, MA. These posts change often because they are based on what people are reading.

Sunday, May 1, 2016

Glastonbury, Connecticut -- Kilborn Ancestor Buried There Plus See the World War II Memorial


A visit to the Green Cemetery in Glastonbury, Connecticut on April 17th proved to be the most frustrating hunt for a stone I've ever had in all 100 or so cemeteries I've been in. I thought I was so well prepared as I had a copy of my John Kilbourn /Kilborn stone beautifully photographed for FindAGrave (FAG) by Rebecca, and I knew the row and exact location of the stone. So what happened? I was armed with an iPad and a small Sony aim and shoot camera, but I couldn't read any writing on a large number of stones. The shadow is exactly in the same place as the FAG photo below. When you compare the two pictures, I'd love some feedback. Do you think it was taken in another month or is there another reason? I wonder if Rebecca will respond to my query as to what month she was there, even though she posted her photo in 2007!

From the photo below, I thought it was taken at 11:57 AM, but in fact I was in error. After I posted my original post, I realized that that time was due to my taking a copy of the FAG photo with my iPad. Thank you to the two who commented on why there could have been a difference of 3 minutes, since my horrible picture was taken at 11:54. The idea of a flash being used was a good suggestion, but I think since you see a shadow, like mine, that might not be a reason. Perhaps it was the time of the year.

I have taken cemetery photos of John's 7 of direct line of Kilborn, all in Connecticut (Colchester, East Haddam, Clinton, and New Haven). John Kilborn's father was probably buried across the river in Wethersfield per FAG.

John Kilbourn is my 8th great-grandfather. There are 21 Kilbourns or Kilborns in that cemetery and I could only read three! The stone reads

HERE
Lieth The
Body of Mr. Jno
Kilborn Who Died
November ye 25th 1711
in ye 60th year of His
Age
FAG photo above, not taken at 11:57 AM
Mine below was taken at 11:54 AM
Changing it to black and white helped a little, at least I can see a few words.

Inside the fence are the row numbers. I called the Historical Society and got the exact location.
Green Cemetery has many entrances, not just the one shown.


The Historical Society of Glastonbury is next to the Cemetery. This was the original town hall built in 1840. The war memorial is in front of the town hall.
IN HONOR OF THOSE WHO SERVED THEIR
COUNTRY IN THE SECOND WORLD WAR AND IN MEMORY OF
CHARLES GALLI WHO WAS KILLED IN ACTION.
HERBERT AMOND
RICHARD A. BANTLE
EVERETT E. BANTLY
ALLEN F. BEHNKE
ROBERT G. BRASH
CHARLES W. CHASE, JR.
JOSEPH A. CLAPIS
LAWRENCE L. COGGIOLA
ELMORE L. CORNISH
MARY L. CORNISH
JACK DARBY
GEORGE E. ELLIOTT, JR.
WILLIAM J. ELLIOTT
DURAND G. FULLER
CHARLES GALLI
ALBERT A. GEOFFROY
CHARLES M. GODDARD, JR.
DANIEL H. HODGE
ALBERT K. KARASH, JR.
VINCENT KASPER
WALTER KERR
JOSEPH KIRK
FRANK J. LEACH
EGIDIO F. MARINELLI
JACK E. MAY
RICHARD A. MERRIAM
EDWARD J. MILLER
HENRY J. MORSE
GUIDOI OLIVA
LAWRENCE W. RICHARDS
WALTER J. STANLEY
JOSEPH F. STARK
LUCIEN VEGIARD
JOSEPH J. WACHTER, JR.
EDWARD D. WELDON
JOSEPH F. WESTERGOM
ERECTED 1947

Town green is beside the cemetery and behind the Historical Society.