Pages

The Life From The Roots blog topics have changed several times since I began this blog in 2009. I initially wrote only about the family history I had been working on for 20 years. Years later, I was into visiting gardens, historical homes, churches, libraries that had genealogical collections, historical societies, war memorials, and travel/tourism places. I also enjoy posting autographs and photos of famous people I've met or have seen.

Along with my New England roots, other areas include New York, New Jersey, Michigan, Illinois, Wisconsin, and the Eastern Townships of Quebec, Canada.

Please check out the labels on the right side for topics (please note, they need work). Below the labels and pageviews is a listing of my top nine posts, according to Google. Four of them pertain to Lowell, MA. These posts change often because they are based on what people are reading.

Thursday, December 14, 2017

Christmas at the Norman Rockwell Museum


A trip to the Norman Rockwell Museum in Stockbridge, MA in December was my first time visiting it in the winter. A special treat was seeing the exhibit of his Christmas and New Year's paintings and magazine covers, and a few Christmas cards, one being his personal card. Some of those paintings are shown below, as well as some of my favorites. A copy of their brochure is at the end. I'm glad I just read it, because I didn't know it was open year round.

  

Special Exhibition of Holiday Images from the Permanent Collection. (Please click on the YouTube video/music.) This exhibit closes February 4, 2018.

The Discovery for Saturday Evening Post , 29 December 1956.
Home for Christmas for McCall's magazine, December 1967.
Every year the town recreates this scene by clearing the street of modern cars and replaced them with many antique cars, all displayed for us to enjoy. I attended the "28th Anniversary Recreation of Main Street at Christmas" on December 3rd. To read blog and see many photos, click HERE.




A personal card and cards he designed for the Boy Scouts.




Girl at Mirror for The Saturday Evening Post, 6 March 1954.

Going and Coming for The Saturday Evening Post, 30 August 1947.

Before The Shot, for The Saturday Evening Post, 15 March 1958.

The Problem We All Live With, for Look magazine, January 14, 1964.



Freedom from Want, The Saturday Evening Post, 6 March 1943.

Freedom of Speech, The Saturday Evening Post, 20 February 1943.

Freedom of Worship, The Saturday Evening Post, 27 February 1943.

Freedom from Fear, for The Saturday Evening Post, 13 March 1943.

In the lower level are many covers he designed for The Saturday Evening Post. I am showing a part of one wall, there were three.

Family Tree for The Saturday Evening Post, 24, 1959.
Unfortunately, I didn't get to see the Family Tree because it is on loan to another museum.