Pages

The Life From The Roots blog topics have changed several times since I began this blog in 2009. I initially wrote only about the family history I had been working on for 20 years. Years later, I was into visiting gardens, historical homes, churches, libraries that had genealogical collections, historical societies, war memorials, and travel/tourism places. I also enjoy posting autographs and photos of famous people I've met or have seen.

Along with my New England roots, other areas include New York, New Jersey, Michigan, Illinois, Wisconsin, and the Eastern Townships of Quebec, Canada.

Please check out the labels on the right side for topics (please note, they need work). Below the labels and pageviews is a listing of my top nine posts, according to Google. Four of them pertain to Lowell, MA. These posts change often because they are based on what people are reading.

Monday, April 30, 2018

1630 Phipps Cemetery is One of the Oldest in Massachusetts

Buried in one of the oldest cemeteries in the United States, are Thomas Rand and his wife Sarah Edenden, who are my 9th great grand-parents. Phipps Cemetery in Charlestown, next to Boston, MA was established in 1630, and all the stones are in their original plots, none have been moved. Surrounding this cemetery is a locked iron fence and housing (apartments or condos?) on three sides. Fortunately, somebody will unlock the fence once you give them 24 hrs. notice. I was given the time slot between 8:45 - 2 on a Saturday. The photos below are of the tombstones, part of the cemetery, and surrounding apartments.

HERE LYES BURYED
THE BODY OF
THOMAS RAND
AGED 56 YEARS
DECEASED AUGUST
Ye 4 1683

HERE LYES Ye BODY OF
SARAH RAND WIFE
TO THOMAS RAND
AGED ABOUT 63 YEARS
DIED JUNE 26 1699