My blog has been changed to make it more appealing for those who have New England ancestors and want to see the area through photos. Things I’ll include are typical white New England churches, libraries showing their genealogical collection, historical societies, cemeteries, war memorials, in general, anything to do with history.

For four years I’ve blogged mostly about my personal genealogy in New England (Connecticut, Massachusetts, Vermont, and New Hampshire), New York, New Jersey, Michigan, Illinois, Wisconsin, and the Eastern Townships of Quebec, Canada. I still will, can’t forget my own roots.

Please check out the labels on the right side for articles. The header tabs at the top are a work in progress.

Tuesday, February 19, 2013

Call and Skinner of Malden, MA -- Tombstone Tuesday

45 Yrs DECd NOUEr

Here Lyes ye Body

of Ms Lydia
Skiner Wife to
Mr Thomas Skiner
Formally Wife to 
Mr Thomas Call
Who Decd Decem
ye 17th 1723 Aged
about 87 Years *

*Lydia was married to Thomas Skinner, as his second wife. Thomas was my 9th great-grandfather. Thomas Call was her first husband.


Gregg said...

Barbara, nice shots of the Lydia Shepardson Call Skinner tombstone, and her "next stone neighbor" first husband Thomas Call. I was at the Bell Rock Cemetery in April 2015 trying to find our common ancestor, Sgt. Thomas Skinner (c1617-1704), Lydia's 2nd husband. As your research has probably already shown, immigrant Sgt. Thomas Skinner was buried at Bell Rock, but "moved" according to some published references. I am wondering if you have had any success on finding where Sgt. Thomas was buried and to where he was subsequently "moved"? While at the cemetery office, there was no record of him being "moved" and I have developed a number of possibilities on what "moved" actually indicated, but nothing to pin him down. I hope to get back to Bell Rock in 2019 to re-walk the cemetery with some genealogical references that might lead me to his remains.

Barbara Poole said...

Glad you liked the photos, Gregg. Guess it was worth falling in the leaves. I've been there many times, and most recently this spring when I found John Pratt, see:

Regarding Thomas Skinner, I think his stone is missing. It isn't uncommon, considering how old it would have been. Also his first wife's is missing. Or, maybe somebody just hasn't taken a picture or transcribed it yet.

I gather we are related? Let me answer your other message now.