My blog has been changed to make it more appealing for those who have New England ancestors and want to see the area through photos. Things I’ll include are typical white New England churches, libraries showing their genealogical collection, historical societies, cemeteries, war memorials, in general, anything to do with history.

For four years I’ve blogged mostly about my personal genealogy in New England (Connecticut, Massachusetts, Vermont, and New Hampshire), New York, New Jersey, Michigan, Illinois, Wisconsin, and the Eastern Townships of Quebec, Canada. I still will, can’t forget my own roots.

Please check out the labels on the right side for articles. The header tabs at the top are a work in progress.

Thursday, February 9, 2012

NARA Separation Form 214 For Free

The National Personnel Records Center (NPRC) is located in St. Louis, Missouri. If you are looking for your father's, mother's or brother's military record, you might be able to find it here, at a ridiculous low price of FREE. After going to the home page of the NPRC,  click on the Personnel Records, Quick Find, shown below. My example is for "the veteran separated from military service before 1951 (for my father).

Personnel Records, Quick Find:

If the veteran separated from military service before 1951
If the veteran separated from military service after 1950

If the Federal civil servant's employment ended before 1952
If the Federal civil servant's employment ended after 1951

Step two is click on the link in this sentence.  Please order these records by using the process outlined in, "How to Access Archival Records, Official Military Personnel Files (OMPF)". (Even though there is considerable information, you probably won't need to figure anything out. I found it was easier to put in information about my father, then just see if I qualified for the information, and more importantly, see if there was information.

After clicking on the "How to Access..." (above link) you will be brought to How do I request copies of records? Read everything, then click on REQUEST RECORDS ONLINE!

You are brought to: Online Requests Using eVetRecs
“Our online eVetRecs system creates a customized order form to request information from your, or your relative's, military personnel records. You may use this system if you are:
·                          military veteran, or 
·                          Next of kin of a deceased, former member of the military. The next of kin can be any of the following:
o                                          Surviving spouse that has not remarried
o                                          Father
o                                          Mother
o                                          Son
o                                          Daughter
o                                          Sister
o                                          Brother
Please note:   Records are accessioned into the National Archives, and become archival, 62 years after the service member's separation from the military. This is a rolling date; hence, the current year, 2012, minus 62 years is 1950. Records with a discharge date of 1950 or prior are archival and are open to the public. Records with a discharge date of 1950 or after are non-archival and are maintained under the Federal Records Center program. Non-archival records are subject to access restrictions.   Learn more

This is where you begin filling out your information, such as: Your relationship to the Deceased, Branch of Service, Officer or Enlisted, Reason for information, such as medical, genealogy, retirement, and others. I selected medical since I wasn't sure what would happen with the genealogy option. I also needed to provide the name, birth date, and other bits of information, nothing too difficult. Since this was done in August 2010, I don't recall everything, but do know it was very easy. I received immediate online verification, just to be sure they had a record for my father, and a form, shown below.  I had to sign it, and mail it to them before I could receive two copies of the record.

A few weeks later, I received Form 214, Report of Separation (shown below) with information on my father. (I used white-out on some of his personal information.)