Pages

The Life From The Roots blog topics have changed several times since I began this blog in 2009. I initially wrote only about the family history I had been working on for 20 years. Years later, I was into visiting gardens, historical homes, churches, libraries that had genealogical collections, historical societies, war memorials, and travel/tourism places. I also enjoy posting autographs and photos of famous people I've met or have seen.

Along with my New England roots, other areas include New York, New Jersey, Michigan, Illinois, Wisconsin, and the Eastern Townships of Quebec, Canada.

Please check out the labels on the right side for topics (please note, they need work). Below the labels and pageviews is a listing of my top nine posts, according to Google. Four of them pertain to Lowell, MA. These posts change often because they are based on what people are reading.

Thursday, April 15, 2021

A Visit to the New England Quilt Museum in Lowell, Massachusetts

18 Shattuck St., Lowell, MA 01852
P: (978) 452-4207

This little gem museum is in the center of Lowell and on the corner of two cobblestone streets! I haven't been there in over 13 or so years and thought it was time for another visit because of two reasons. The first was, this time I could take photos for this blog, in the past, it wasn't allowed.
The other reason for visiting was to honor my mother. She was a long-time dedicated volunteer for the museum and a quilter. I recently came across a notecard from her (written when the museum was in another location) and her last line was about the museum. She died on her bike at the age of 70, 31 years ago. I'm also sharing an appreciation notice from the museum written after her death. She even rode her bike 15 miles to get to the museum.
I know there are a lot of genealogy friends who love quilting, so this is for you, those who love to quilt, and those who love Lowell. I, however, do not quilt.

The Yellow and Orange collection was in the central exhibit area. I believe all of these quilts were made in Pennsylvania. There are several separate rooms housing special collections like the Modern quilts, the permanent collection of Nancy L. Donahue of Lowell, and several rooms had holdings made by Wendy Caton Reed of Bath, Maine.


The above and below are my favorites.








Looking out the back window you'll see Merrimack St., the Lucy Larcom Park, and the building addition to the Lowell High School.

This small square is in the large hanging above. Can you find it?


The first floor has a nice gift shop and class rooms for lessons.



The backside of the museum at Christmas..


This card folds over.
She drew the arrows with appropriate building names on tissue paper to show me where things were when I placed it on the card (see below).


I just read the Spring/Summer 2015 newsletter of the
FRIENDS OF THE BRUCE FREEMAN RAIL TRAIL. There was mention of my mother 25 years after her death. I'm sharing it because it shows how much she loved biking.
Two samples of my mother's work.

21 Years ago, Everything was about Quilts.