Pages

The Life From The Roots blog topics have changed several times since I began this blog in 2009. I initially wrote only about the family history I had been working on for 20 years. Years later, I was into visiting gardens, historical homes, churches, libraries that had genealogical collections, historical societies, war memorials, and travel/tourism places. I also enjoy posting autographs and photos of famous people I've met or have seen.

Along with my New England roots, other areas include New York, New Jersey, Michigan, Illinois, Wisconsin, and the Eastern Townships of Quebec, Canada.

Please check out the labels on the right side for topics (please note, they need work). Below the labels and pageviews is a listing of my top nine posts, according to Google. Four of them pertain to Lowell, MA. These posts change often because they are based on what people are reading.

Friday, April 16, 2021

The Otis House, Boston, Massachusetts

  
Otis House (Built 1796)
141 Cambridge Street,
Boston, Massachusetts 02114
617-227-3956

To read more about the house and the owners, see the information from the Historic New England website. I called the office and found out that the houses will open on June 4th to members and non-members. Visitors will need tickets ahead of time and information will be on their website soon, updated frequently.

On the right side, you'll see the labels list, scroll down to Historic New England and click to see a listing of 15 houses I've written about. (There are two more to come) My husband and I were members for over two years, and I just joined again.

I visited this Historic New England home (the opening photo shows a picture of this house) on April 11, 2019. No other visitors were there at this time, I had the house to myself. Since my visit was two years ago, I've forgotten some of what I was told. There is plenty of information on the link above.
Front entrance. Sometimes a long staircase can be a challenge to photo.
 The Dining Room.
The first room we entered was absolutely beautiful. The yellow color is the same as in my dining room.

 View from the Dining room looking at the front property and busy Cambridge Street. Spring is just about here, and with fewer tree buds you get a better view.


Office space was used by the couple. The open door above the fireplace is the safe. This back corner room is the coldest in the house. I thought the wallpaper was very modern in design.

  Parlor.

 The beautiful red couch has two pull-out drawers under the armrest. I believe the space was used by women who would store their knitting or needlework pieces. This was a new feature to me.

 Looking down at the small hallway. I learned that it wasn't heated, like most houses in that time frame. Rooms to the left and right did have fireplaces and doors.
Bedchamber for Sally Otis. Yes, more yellow. Apparently, Mrs. Otis loved yellow.

   I thought this rug was beautiful.
 


 Withdrawing Room. This is a corner room with plenty of light. A card table and musical instruments are shown, along with a sample of lovely wallpaper.


 





A small view of Boston and I think a glimpse of the Custom House.
The Old West Church is bricks away from the Otis House.
From the Old West Church website, a bit of history. "The West Church was founded in 1737. For the next 150 years, it was one of the most socially active congregations in Boston. William Hooper became the first minister of the West Church, a post that he held for nine years.
Jonathan Mayhew

Jonathan Mayhew

In March 1747, Jonathan Mayhew became the minister. Mayhew was a revolutionary, in theology and in politics, and was acknowledged as a great orator in New England and in Britain. His close associates included John and Samuel Adams, John Hancock, and Robert Paine. He was to them The Herald of Revolution, the Assertor of Civil and Religious Liberty, and the last of the great colonial preachers. Mayhew was succeeded by Simeon Howard. Howard preached civil and religious freedom guided by a strong sense of personal holiness.

The building was occupied during the Revolution as one of the highest spots in the city. The British destroyed the tower to prevent patriots from using it to signal the harbor. That church’s custodian hung the lanterns used to signal Paul Revere."

Otis House picture taken from the Church property (both photos).
First signs of spring in Boston.