Pages

The Life From The Roots blog topics have changed several times since I began this blog in 2009. I initially wrote only about the family history I had been working on for 20 years. Years later, I was into visiting gardens, historical homes, churches, libraries that had genealogical collections, historical societies, war memorials, and travel/tourism places. I also enjoy posting autographs and photos of famous people I've met or have seen.

Along with my New England roots, other areas include New York, New Jersey, Michigan, Illinois, Wisconsin, and the Eastern Townships of Quebec, Canada.

Please check out the labels on the right side for topics (please note, they need work). Below the labels and pageviews is a listing of my top nine posts, according to Google. Four of them pertain to Lowell, MA. These posts change often because they are based on what people are reading.

Thursday, October 29, 2009

Ancestry.com and a Good Laugh

After almost 10 months of not being an Ancestry.com subscriber, I bit the bullet and signed on for the Limited Time Offer of a one month subscription, at a 20% savings, for the grand total of $15.95. My only reason for signing up was to reply to queries pertaining to my Ancestry tree on their site. (Even though I wasn’t a member, the tree remained for anybody to see.) I had about eight letters from people, sent through Ancestry, of which I couldn’t send a reply, since I wasn’t a “member.” I wonder if the writers ever received a notification that I was unable to reply.


Two things I learned were: if I ever write to somebody through Ancestry (if as a member), I will type my email address in the first sentence and tell them to write me personally. If your tree is on Ancestry’s site, like mine is, I will keep my email address in the first sentence where I describe me or the tree. This works, because several people have written write me directly. The other thing is, if I write somebody and they don’t reply back, I won’t take it too personally, as they may have let their subscription lapse. They have no way of contacting you. In other words, if you reply or write through Ancestry, I think your email should be in the first line.


I immediately received a response to one of the emails I sent. Well, this is a funny email and I thought I would share it. I know you all get them; ones that don’t make sense are really funny. I have no idea about the weather thing.


“Hi Barbara,


It's been long enough since we communicated, that I can't remember the HARVEY connection and whose family I was working on to need it.


Can you refresh me?


Meantime, we now have addresses for each other.


We had a beautiful autumn morning in central Michigan, but now it's clouded over again. Guess more rain is on the way. On which day did you have summer in your part of the world? Here, it was from 8 - 12 am, August 25.”


We never communicated, I sent him my first email yesterday giving him my email address and apologizing for not replying sooner, and told him not to go through Ancestry, of course he did. What is he talking about?  I am not sure if I will reply to him, but if I want another laugh, maybe I should.