Pages

The Life From The Roots blog topics have changed several times since I began this blog in 2009. I initially wrote only about the family history I had been working on for 20 years. Years later, I was into visiting gardens, historical homes, churches, libraries that had genealogical collections, historical societies, war memorials, and travel/tourism places. I also enjoy posting autographs and photos of famous people I've met or have seen.

Along with my New England roots, other areas include New York, New Jersey, Michigan, Illinois, Wisconsin, and the Eastern Townships of Quebec, Canada.

Please check out the labels on the right side for topics (please note, they need work). Below the labels and pageviews is a listing of my top nine posts, according to Google. Four of them pertain to Lowell, MA. These posts change often because they are based on what people are reading.

Tuesday, February 23, 2010

Tombstone Tuesday -- Before and After for Schramling or Scramlin

Unfortunately, I don't remember where I got this photo from, I've had it for over 11 years, and the minute I saw it, I knew I had to locate the tombstone of my ancestor. That was no easy task until I met my friend Sandy in 2001.

Without a cemetery name, I wasn't sure where to begin, so I turned to a message board for Oneonta, New York, and fortunately received a reply from Sandy, who knew where it was. I spent far more time worrying about how I was going to find the cemetery than it took to connect with her. Our corresponding took place during March, and with snow on the ground in upstate New York, she had to wait until it melted before she could go and see it again.  And, I had to wait.  Before long, she made a quick trip and reported back to me with the details.

Once summer came, my husband and I took a weekend research trip to Cooperstown, Canajoharie, Fonda, and Oneonta, New York. We met Sandy in Oneonta, who took us to two cemeteries, where my ancestors were buried.  The first is the of Henry Scrambling.  My photos show a very hidden cemetery, within a grove of trees, I would never have found it, without help.


Henry Schramling was my 5th great-grandfather.

Born:  Bef. 1745, Canajoharie, Montgomery Co., New York
Died:  Bet. February 24, 1808 - June 22, 1810, Oneonta, Otsego Co., New York

This is the same family I wrote about in November, in my Scrambled Eggs post.  Even in the original cemetery photo, somebody wrote the surname as Schramling AND Scramlin.

The 5 photos below were taken by my cousin, Susie Hull on March 6, 2016.





The cemetery as shown by Google Earth.