My blog has been changed to make it more appealing for those who have New England ancestors and want to see the area through photos. Things I’ll include are typical white New England churches, libraries showing their genealogical collection, historical societies, cemeteries, war memorials, in general, anything to do with history.

For four years I’ve blogged mostly about my personal genealogy in New England (Connecticut, Massachusetts, Vermont, and New Hampshire), New York, New Jersey, Michigan, Illinois, Wyoming, and the Eastern Townships of Quebec, Canada. I still will, can’t forget my own roots.

Please check out the labels on the right side for articles. The header tabs at the top are a work in progress.

Thursday, August 26, 2010

Treasure Chest Thursday -- New Beginnings

My father, as a freshman, on his way to Union College, Schenectady, New York.
1938
Joined the Navy in 1942.
Corpus Christi, Texas

8 comments:

Heather Rojo said...

I love how our posts often run side by side on the Geneabloggers feed for days with memes! These are priceless photos. I wonder how many college freshmen are showing up in ties this year?

Barbara said...

Tie, hum, haven't seen one in a long time. These are both original photos, with my grandmother writing on the back of the first one, and my mother on the second.

Becky said...

Barbara, the insignia is for a Third Class Petty Officer (pay grade E-4). An enlisted person going through boot camp would be at pay grade E-1 then when they graduate would be at pay grade E-2 and usually within 6 months or a year would be promoted to pay grade E-3. By the time you get to 3rd Class Petty Officer you would have had some advanced training.

At least that is how it worked when I joined the Navy in 1969. During WWII I would imagine that promotions came quicker...

Barbara said...

Thank you Becky, from somewhere in Alaska. I had a feeling you might respond. So again, thank you, and safe travels.

Liz said...

Barbara, do you have his OMPF (official military personnel file--free!)? I've found some great tidbits in my dad's, including photo & HS transcript & recommendation letters from his application to the Naval aviation training program.

Barbara said...

Liz, I just ordered it this past Tuesday! Can't believe I never did it before. Many thanks for the suggestion though.

Kathy said...

Nice pictures of your Dad. He was a handsome young man!

Barbara said...

Kathy, Thank you very much.