Pages

The Life From The Roots blog topics have changed several times since I began this blog in 2009. I initially wrote only about the family history I had been working on for 20 years. Years later, I was into visiting gardens, historical homes, churches, libraries that had genealogical collections, historical societies, war memorials, and travel/tourism places. I also enjoy posting autographs and photos of famous people I've met or have seen.

Along with my New England roots, other areas include New York, New Jersey, Michigan, Illinois, Wisconsin, and the Eastern Townships of Quebec, Canada.

Please check out the labels on the right side for topics (please note, they need work). Below the labels and pageviews is a listing of my top nine posts, according to Google. Four of them pertain to Lowell, MA. These posts change often because they are based on what people are reading.

Thursday, March 31, 2011

Looking Back


I like to acknowledge those who enjoy my blog and thought I should have an award. Some bloggers mentioned they knew I don't accept them, but wanted me to have one anyway. I understand why people love giving them, as well as receiving them. However, from the very first day I received one, I decided that wasn't the route I wanted to take. But thank you ladies for the three different awards. Please check out their blogs, you will be so glad you did.

The Ancestor Approved award was given on Jan. 20th, and I didn't discover it until months later. It was embarrassing that I didn't catch it earlier, and it pays to read each and every blog you follow, you just never know what might be in a post. And, I think it is important for recipients to also thank the sender, which I don't see happening very often.

My Ancestor Approved award came from: Suz of The Hunt for Henrietta

One Lovely Blog awards from:
Cyndi Beane Henry of Mountain Genealogy                     
Leslie Albrecht Huber of The Journey Takers Blog
Leslie Ann of Ancestors Live Here
Yvonne Mashburn Schmidt of ATCO, Georgia, The Village


and Betty Huber Tartas of Betty's Boneyard Genealogy presented me with the Genea-Angel award.


The past month has been busy, and I will be blogging about some of the events in the next few weeks. One interesting thing, I hate to admit, is I didn't learn all I could about my parents and grandparents first and then work backward. I instead by-passed them and steam rolled through each generation rather quickly, (which took about 21 years). But, I realized I didn't know the first thing about my parents, especially before I was born. During the past week, I discovered some great information about them, and will share that. If I had asked questions about the last two generations years ago, some relatives were around to answer what I wanted to know.


Much of this winter-like month has been devoted to webinars, I love them and in one week attended five, and one day there were two. I'm getting a great free education, learning about things such as: Using Twitter, Backing up your Genealogy Data, Tracing Female Ancestors, Writing your Personal History, two on Blogging, and several on RootsMagic4. I hope you have been able to take advantage of them, some are still available to listen to/see and new ones have been scheduled. Most are FREE, so please visit the above webinar site.


This has nothing to do with genealogy, but to illustrate how quickly time flies. When I heard it was 30 years ago that President Reagan was shot, to me, it was like yesterday.
I was working at the Veteran's Administration, my office on the first floor of a 14-floor building, and on the L Street side in Washington, DC. When we heard the sirens and saw police cars fly by, we knew something serious had happened. We grouped together, and imagined a disaster at the White House, which was a few blocks away. Soon we knew the real story. Now, it's hard to believe it was 30 years ago. Did I age, what was I doing as a hobby (not genealogy yet), no idea what I was doing, but I remember that freeze in time.