Pages

The Life From The Roots blog topics have changed several times since I began this blog in 2009. I initially wrote only about the family history I had been working on for 20 years. Years later, I was into visiting gardens, historical homes, churches, libraries that had genealogical collections, historical societies, war memorials, and travel/tourism places. I also enjoy posting autographs and photos of famous people I've met or have seen.

Along with my New England roots, other areas include New York, New Jersey, Michigan, Illinois, Wisconsin, and the Eastern Townships of Quebec, Canada.

Please check out the labels on the right side for topics (please note, they need work). Below the labels and pageviews is a listing of my top nine posts, according to Google. Four of them pertain to Lowell, MA. These posts change often because they are based on what people are reading.

Wednesday, June 22, 2011

Harriet Beecher Stowe -- Houses and Cemetery Plot

Harriet Beecher Stowe Center / House
Hartford, Connecticut

While on a tour of the house, I asked where she was buried. I was quite surprised to learn that she was buried just a few towns away from where I live in Massachusetts.

The following day, we went to the cemetery, and then two days later, while on a trip to Maine, my husband remembered where she lived in Brunswick, Maine, so of course we went there. That house looked unoccupied, and was in dire need of repairs (photo below).
I was there June 14, 2011, the day of Harriet's 200th Birthday Celebration. There were horse rides, music and entertainment as well as free cake available to all.
Brunswick, Maine (before renovation (above), after photos taken in October 2015)
I love the new (or repainted) shutters. Green is a better color than black.

  Room you see first if you enter the side door, by the house plaque.

Looking down from 63 Federal Street, Brunswick, Maine


Harriet Beecher Stowe house, Brunswick, ca. 1930

Phillips Academy Cemetery
Andover, Massachusetts
1811  HARRIET BEECHER STOWE  1896


UPDATE:
"BRUNSWICK  What’s now a closet in the house at 63 Federal St. was likely where Harriet Beecher Stowe let an escaped slave stay for a night in 1850, and a parlor room in the front of the home was probably one of the places she sat down to write “Uncle Tom’s Cabin” a year later." Read more from Harriet Beecher Stowe house added to Underground Railroad network From the Portland Press Herald, April 20, 2016.


Flower Photos from this trip may be seen at
FLOWERS FROM MY AREA.