Pages

The Life From The Roots blog topics have changed several times since I began this blog in 2009. I initially wrote only about the family history I had been working on for 20 years. Years later, I was into visiting gardens, historical homes, churches, libraries that had genealogical collections, historical societies, war memorials, and travel/tourism places. I also enjoy posting autographs and photos of famous people I've met or have seen.

Along with my New England roots, other areas include New York, New Jersey, Michigan, Illinois, Wisconsin, and the Eastern Townships of Quebec, Canada.

Please check out the labels on the right side for topics (please note, they need work). Below the labels and pageviews is a listing of my top nine posts, according to Google. Four of them pertain to Lowell, MA. These posts change often because they are based on what people are reading.

Wednesday, May 16, 2012

Reviewing a Book for Jennifer Holik



Branching Out: Genealogy for High School StudentsA book review is something I’ve never done, but when I won a book, Branching Out: Kids Genealogy for High School Students Lessons 1-15 by Jennifer Holik of http://blog.generationsbiz.com/ I wrote and told her I’d be happy to write a review. In addition, I’d prefer her PDF version and not the hard copy. When I subscribed to her blog, I hadn’t known there was a contest to win this book, so I was quite surprised to learn I was the winner.

How do I write a review? Is it the same as a critique? I’m not sure, but critiques always seem so negative, so I’ll give my thoughts.

The things that came to mind after I finished reading the 65 pages were, there is a lot of information. And, it isn't just for high school students; in my opinion, this is a perfect book for those who home-school their older children or even somebody teaching a small group of scouts or young adults who are interested in their family history.

There are a lot of reading assignments as well as hands-on projects. It might be noted, however, the students have to have access to four other books, and a computer, in addition to Jennifer’s book.

It is apparent that Jennifer put in a huge amount of time and effort into her book. In addition, she has other books in this vein, covering other grades, and a new one for adults. Please see her blog at http://blog.generationsbiz.com/ for further information. Thanks Jennifer, I enjoyed receiving and reading your book.