My blog has been changed to make it more appealing for those who have New England ancestors and want to see the area through photos. Things I’ll include are typical white New England churches, libraries showing their genealogical collection, historical societies, cemeteries, war memorials, in general, anything to do with history.

For four years I’ve blogged mostly about my personal genealogy in New England (Connecticut, Massachusetts, Vermont, and New Hampshire), New York, New Jersey, Michigan, Illinois, Wisconsin, and the Eastern Townships of Quebec, Canada. I still will, can’t forget my own roots.

Please check out the labels on the right side for articles. The header tabs at the top are a work in progress.

Tuesday, September 4, 2012

John Q. Adams -- Tombstone Tuesday

I never realized that John Quincy Adams was such a popular name, until I began researching it to complete a branch on my tree. One was born 1821, another 1838 and the third isn't directly related, so there isn't much information yet. The name, John Adams is another story. I have 22, one being my "brick wall." Recently, I received a large package of Adams information, from Jennielee who shares the same "brick wall" on the Adams line. Two treasured items were her actual photos taken at the cemetery where her John Quincy Adams and his wife Maria Cox were buried. He was my first cousin, 4 times removed.
John Quincy Adams
Born: 17 Mar. 1838
Died: 27 Nov. 1926

His wife
Francis Maria Cox
Born: 11 Jan. 1828
Died: 31 Oct. 1923

Buried next to them, their daughter
Hattie Olive Adams Blatchford (wife of William Edward Blatchford)
Born: 24 Feb. 1864
Died: 26 Jan. 1959

Buried in the Wyoming Cemetery, Wyoming, New York
Both photos taken by Jennielee Fox and used with her permission.

2 comments:

Michelle Goodrum said...

Surprise! I thought you were going to say you were related to a President of the United States. I had no idea John Quincy Adams was such a common name.

Heather Rojo said...

I laughed when I read your post, but then I decided to count up the John ADAMSes in my own database. There were 28! And three John Quincy ADAMSes, including the President because his mother was a SMITH (close relatives to me on the FOWLE lineage). I descend from a John Adams, but not the right one!