Pages

The Life From The Roots blog topics have changed several times since I began this blog in 2009. I initially wrote only about the family history I had been working on for 20 years. Years later, I was into visiting gardens, historical homes, churches, libraries that had genealogical collections, historical societies, war memorials, and travel/tourism places. I also enjoy posting autographs and photos of famous people I've met or have seen.

Along with my New England roots, other areas include New York, New Jersey, Michigan, Illinois, Wisconsin, and the Eastern Townships of Quebec, Canada.

Please check out the labels on the right side for topics (please note, they need work). Below the labels and pageviews is a listing of my top nine posts, according to Google. Four of them pertain to Lowell, MA. These posts change often because they are based on what people are reading.

Saturday, March 16, 2013

You've All Heard of My New Cousin

Two years ago I visited the house of one of my distant cousins, she was my Sixth cousin, 5x removed. At that time, I didn't know there was a connection to me. As a matter of fact, I found out from a facebook friend, Janeen, who asked if she could use my cemetery photo because she was related. Janeen and I share so many ancestors, I would guess 15 maybe more and all from Connecticut. Thanks to Janeen, I saw I also share an ancestor of Harriet Beecher Stowe (see HERE). No wonder I was so excited to visit her house in Hartford, CT, see another one in Brunswick, ME and visit the cemetery where she and her husband were buried in MA.
Hartford, Connecticut house where she lived.
While on a tour of the house, I asked where she was buried. Was quite surprised to learn that she was buried just a few towns away from me. The following day, we went to the cemetery, then two days later, while on a trip to Maine, my husband remembered where she lived in Brunswick, Maine, so of course we went there. That house looks unoccupied, and in dire need of repairs.
I was there the day of the 200th Birthday Celebration for Harriet Beecher Stowe. Horse rides, music and entertainment as well as free cake were available to all.
Brunswick, Maine house where she lived.


Phillips Academy Cemetery
Andover, Massachusetts
FindAGrave site
1811  HARRIET BEECHER STOWE  1896

Reprinted from my post of June 22, 2011

Generation No. 1 for John Meigs and Thomasin Fry ancestors of Harriet Beecher Stowe and me

1.JOHN MEIGS (VINCENT MEIGS1) was born 29 FEB 1612 in Bradford, Devon, England, and died 4 JAN 1672 in Killingworth, Middlesex Co., Connecticut. He married THOMASIN FRY 1632 in Weymouth, England / Guilford, Connecticut, daughter of WILLIAM FRY and SARAH HILL. She was born 29 FEB 1612 in Weymouth, Dorsetshire, England, and died 4 JAN 1671 in Killingworth, Middlesex Co., Connecticut.
  
Children of JOHN MEIGS and THOMASIN FRY were:
 2  i.Elizabeth MEIGS was born BET 1631 AND 1635 in Guilford, New Haven Co., Connecticut, and died 1664. She married Richard HUBBEL 1652 in New Haven / Guilford / Fairfield / Stratford.
+3  ii.Mary MEIGS was born 1633 in Weymouth, England, and died 30 APR 1703 in Killingworth, Middlesex Co., Connecticut.
+4  iii.CONCURRENCE MEIGS was born BET 1637 AND 1643 in Weymouth, Dorsetshire, England or Killingworth, Middlesex Co., Connecticut, and died 9 OCT 1708 in Killingworth, Middlesex Co., Connecticut.
+5  iv.John MEIGS was born 28 FEB 1641 in Weymouth, England, and died 9 NOV 1713 in Guilford, New Haven Co., Connecticut.
 6  v.Tryal MEIGS was born ABT 1646 in New Haven, New Haven Co., Connecticut, and died 1689 in Killingworth, Middlesex Co., Connecticut. She married Andrew WARD ABT 1668 in Guilford / Killingworth, Connecticut. He was born ABT 1643, and died 1690.