My blog has been changed to make it more appealing for those who have New England ancestors and want to see the area through photos. Things I’ll include are typical white New England churches, libraries showing their genealogical collection, historical societies, cemeteries, war memorials, in general, anything to do with history.

For four years I’ve blogged mostly about my personal genealogy in New England (Connecticut, Massachusetts, Vermont, and New Hampshire), New York, New Jersey, Michigan, Illinois, Wisconsin, and the Eastern Townships of Quebec, Canada. I still will, can’t forget my own roots.

Please check out the labels on the right side for articles. The header tabs at the top are a work in progress.

Friday, January 3, 2014

Do You Have Any of These Cemeteries for Your Ancestors?


Many years before beginning my blog in 2009, I did my best at keeping records for myself, never thinking I would be sharing it. However, the other day, while reading many Facebook friend's New Year's resolutions, blogs and general ideas how to get organized, something clicked. Only one struck me as the one that would for me. Midge Frazel, of Granite in My Blood blog mentioned doing a list of gravestones she has written about. She also mentioned, on Facebook the following.
  • One thing I have learned lately is to make goals more defined and workable in a short time frame. I have five projects going right now. Four is do-able but one continues to plague me.
    January 1 
  • Barbara Poole     I am going to start following you Midge, you are my new inspiration. Defined goals in a short time frame, love it.

So, I'm using two of her suggestions! You do learn from others, why not try it for 2014.

I began visiting many cemeteries in 1999, 2000 and 2001. A lot changed after 9/11, and I didn't travel as much. My list remained dormant for about 9 years, until I began blogging. You can see, that my list had 121 listings for my direct ancestors only. The various columns are: their relationship to me, cemetery name, location, date of death, date visited and age at death. An additional column lists either a M or F for mothers or fathers side. In the past over 4 years, I've visited quite a few cemeteries and only took 21 photos, so you can see, blogging had little, if any affect on my list.

My problem now is to relearn Excel, because I can't remember how to change the listing to show it alphabetical, or any of the other categories. I didn't even know I had Excel, as my original list was in Access on a XP. Also, I have to learn how to use Microsoft Office with my Win. 8 laptop, and to get the below Vista listing into the new computer. Technology can be a problem for somebody of the "silent" generation.

My next steps are:

1. Double check to be sure all 146 are on Find-A-Grave.
2. Learn how to use Microsoft Office 2013 and Excel.
3. Take additional photos of where other ancestors are, mostly in Connecticut.

For you to take away, one of my best hints is, if a stone on Find-A-Grave, always make a photo of it and take it with you. This has helped me many times.
 



6 comments:

John D. Tew said...

A very impressive list Barbara! A good project and one I am sure you will accomplish in 2014.

Barbara Poole said...

Thanks John. I was indeed very happy to get that project done, and it only took abt. 4 hours. I'm sure the learning aspect will take much longer!
One of these days, I'm going to surprise you with some pictures of the Phillips Academy, it's been too cold and snowy lately to roam around.

John D. Tew said...

I'll definitely look forward to any PA photos you can send. I have to say that I am amazed to learn from your post today that all the photos you posted this year were taken with your iPad. I never would have guessed it could take such good photos! Do you find that the ones you reject from the iPad shots are ones that are blurred due to motion? I would think holding the iPad still could be a challenge -- especially if held at arms length.

Barbara Poole said...

Yes, that is correct, all with iPad this year (I bought it in Jan.). Good photos, because of the Retina Display feature on the Ver. 4. Yes, it is a little heavy, sometimes I shake it, and often get 2 of the same picture. I actually took very few blurred ones. Rejected ones are often similar to another shot or I just don't want them. I'll do PA with the iPad for you!

Terri O'Connell said...

Smart idea. I should go through all my cemetery photo's and create a list for family and non family (if I like a name or stone, I take a pic). But, I would also add a column for the obituary as well. If you imported this into a google spreadsheet it is a simple click to have it alphabetize.

Barbara Poole said...

Thanks Terri about the google spreadsheet, I'll try that. I'm glad you like my idea, it's one small thing that will help keep us organized.