My blog has been changed to make it more appealing for those who have New England ancestors and want to see the area through photos. Things I’ll include are typical white New England churches, libraries showing their genealogical collection, historical societies, cemeteries, war memorials, in general, anything to do with history.

For four years I’ve blogged mostly about my personal genealogy in New England (Connecticut, Massachusetts, Vermont, and New Hampshire), New York, New Jersey, Michigan, Illinois, Wyoming, and the Eastern Townships of Quebec, Canada. I still will, can’t forget my own roots.

Please check out the labels on the right side for articles. The header tabs at the top are a work in progress.

Friday, June 13, 2014

Scary Tombstones for Friday the 13th

My collection of rather unusual and scary tombstones are below. They are located in the Granary Burial Ground in Boston, established 1660. To see other photos, see my post from yesterday about this graveyard HERE. So enjoy, and happy Friday the 13th.






8 comments:

Diane B said...

These are great Barbara! Also, I loved your post a day or two ago with the Old Granary. You always have great ideas.

Barbara Poole said...

Thanks Diane. I had not planned on doing this post today until I realized it was the 13th. Initially, it was for Halloween. Don't walk under any ladders today.

Carol said...

Great stuff Barbara, as always. And, they are so well preserved.

Barbara Poole said...

Carol, thanks as always too.

Celia Lewis said...

Very cool, Barbara! I always love Friday the 13th, but only saw your post today! Love these stones. Wonder how - and why - people chose specific ones, eh?? Cheers.

Barbara Poole said...

Oh thanks, Celia. It sure was fun sharing them. Yeah, I don't know much about the symbols of these old stones, but I'm sure an expert knows what they mean. If you want to use any of them, be my guest.

Nancy said...

I think these gravestones are one of the reasons people don't walk in graveyards at night. I should think they might be unnerving to the tender-hearted among us. Are they Puritan gravestones?

Barbara Poole said...

Nancy, I know there is a booklet about the cemetery, but I don't know the answer to your question. If and when I find out, I'll let you know. :-)