Pages

My blog has been changed to make it more appealing for those who have New England ancestors and want to see the area through photos. Things I’ll include are typical white New England churches, libraries showing their genealogical collection, historical societies, cemeteries, war memorials, in general, anything to do with history.

For four years I’ve blogged mostly about my personal genealogy in New England (Connecticut, Massachusetts, Vermont, and New Hampshire), New York, New Jersey, Michigan, Illinois, Wisconsin, and the Eastern Townships of Quebec, Canada. I still will, can’t forget my own roots.

Please check out the labels on the right side for articles. The header tabs at the top are a work in progress.

Wednesday, December 17, 2014

There Is A Lot to Like About Lowell -- The City of Mill Girls and Immigrants

"There is A Lot to Like About Lowell" is the city slogan.
(See tab on right side called "Lowell Series" for many more articles about Lowell.)


The City of Mill Girls and Immigrants


This door opens to the free Mill Girls and Immigrants Exhibit by the Lowell National Park Service, in Boarding House Park. I love this exhibit and have been quite a few times, not only to see the charming period rooms, similar to those that the Mill Girls lived in, but the Jack Kerouac exhibit, the display of a lot of Lowell memorabilia and an outstanding timeline of the wave of many immigrants who came to the city.

Bedroom for the Mill Girls (above and below).


Dining Room (above).

The Keeper's Room (above).


Partial display of some of the museum (below). These photos were taken in 2013 and December 2014. Repair work is being done on one floor, so the exhibit will be closed until late January.

Signs and time tables for transportation to Lowell.

"A 1912 map of Lowell shows five major immigrant communities scattered in clusters around the city. Little Canada, which bordered the Northern Canal, had become the primary neighborhood for French Canadians. Greeks concentrated in the Acre along Market Street, while Poles, Portuguese, and Russian Jews had their own enclave within each of these areas, ethnic institutions evolved that catered to the needs of the immigrant group."  See: HERE for map and article in full.

"Because the factories paid workers extremely low wages, it was necessary for both children and adults to take jobs in the mills. On pay day, family members often pooled their wages. In 1872, for example, some large families lived on $7.00 a week."
Timeline of Lowell.
 Great display of old family photos. If you are working on your family history, and your family or ancestors lived in Lowell, this exhibit is a must to see.




2 comments:

Diane Clift said...

Hi- My name is Olivia Clift and I am an 8th grader in RI working on my National History Project about Sarah Bagley. I came upon your blog in my research and was wondering if you would think visitng the Lowell National Park would be helpful to me in my research.
Thank you,
Olivia

Barbara Poole said...

Hi Olivia,

I appreciate your looking at my blog post and asking me for some advice. Unfortunately, I'm not an expert on Sarah Bagley, so I don't know what other information is available about her life, other than what I saw on a google search, by using just her name. It looks like some of the experts wrote about her.

You live quite a distance from Lowell (my opinion, since I live here and never go to Rhode Island because of the distance), but that would have to depend on you and whomever is driving you. If you came, you would be able to see the factories (Hamilton and Massachusetts) mills where she worked and a semi-working textile exhibit maintained by the Natl. Park Service, called Boott Cotton Mills Museum (small fee) and the Boarding House Mill Girls exhibit (where I took a lot of photos) (free), also the NPS visitors center. All this would give you a small feel of the area where she lived and worked. Of course the city is much cleaner that it was in her day.

I would think all this would be interesting for the entire family. Winter is a good time to come, because there are fewer crowds, but then the weather can be nasty. Not everything is open or operating, like the fabulous boat tours on the several canals.

I hope I was able to provide some input to help you decide. Good luck to you, and I know you'll get an A. I'd love to read the report, if you are willing. Oh, you are free to use any of my photos. If you have further questions, please write me at: BarbaraPoole@gmail.com.
Barbara

I have other blog posts about Lowell, with lots of photos. One you might enjoy is about the renovated Hamilton Mills (first link), the other two show you the beauty of the city during the spring/summer/fall.

https://www.blogger.com/blogger.g?blogID=4664905362839287500#editor/target=post;postID=1348736845527175025;onPublishedMenu=posts;onClosedMenu=posts;postNum=0;src=postname

AND, http://lifefromtheroots.blogspot.com/2014/10/there-is-lot-to-like-about-lowell_29.html

http://lifefromtheroots.blogspot.com/2014/10/there-is-lot-to-like-about-lowell_29.html