Pages

The Life From The Roots blog topics have changed several times since I began this blog in 2009. I initially wrote only about the family history I had been working on for 20 years. Years later, I was into visiting gardens, historical homes, churches, libraries that had genealogical collections, historical societies, war memorials, and travel/tourism places. I also enjoy posting autographs and photos of famous people I've met or have seen.

Along with my New England roots, other areas include New York, New Jersey, Michigan, Illinois, Wisconsin, and the Eastern Townships of Quebec, Canada.

Please check out the labels on the right side for topics (please note, they need work). Below the labels and pageviews is a listing of my top nine posts, according to Google. Four of them pertain to Lowell, MA. These posts change often because they are based on what people are reading.

Wednesday, November 18, 2015

Patten Free Library, Bath, Maine -- Sagadahoc County History and Genealogy Room


The Patten Free Library in Bath, Sagadahoc Co., Maine is the last library I visited this year. I'd been looking forward to seeing it for several months, and it didn't disappoint me.
Facing the library from the library park, you see the original building and the Kennebec River.
 Two charming readers greet you at the entrance.
Three photos below show the original rooms, the first picture with the four windows overlooks the river.


The above, looking into the original section. and below photo are both in the newer section.
When we visited the library at 11:00 A.M., I was well aware the History Room was not open (Hours: 12:30 - 4 P.M., Tuesday thru Saturday). Fortunately, I was able to ask the director if she would show me the room after I explained I would be posting a small report to my blog. She was more than happy to take me upstairs, and answered my questions. It's a rather large room, packed full with books, file cabinets and technology items. Yes, I was very lucky she had the time to do this for me.





These two pictures show the library from the outside. It was built in 1890 for $15,000. Two additions were later added in 1961 and 1998.

View from the library, the 1843 Winter Street Church. located at 880 Washington Street.
Photo taken by Barbara Proko, facebook friend

From a bridge, I took a photo of the USS Zumwalt. Much has been written about it, and I was quite excited to see it docked at the Bath Iron Works plant. My husband's uncle was and a cousin are draftsmen there.

From Wikipedia: "USS Zumwalt (DDG-1000) is a guided missile destroyer of the United States Navy. She is the lead ship of the Zumwalt class and the first ship to be named for Admiral Elmo Zumwalt. Zumwalt has stealth capabilities, having a radar cross-section akin to a fishing boat despite her large size. On 7 December 2015, Zumwalt began her sea trial preparatory to joining the Pacific Fleet. She is to be homeported in San DiegoCalifornia. The ship will be commissioned in Baltimore on October 15, 2016."

http://whdh.com/news/local/stealthy-destroyer-ready-to-set-sail-to-join-us-navy/