Pages

The Life From The Roots blog topics have changed several times since I began this blog in 2009. I initially wrote only about the family history I had been working on for 20 years. Years later, I was into visiting gardens, historical homes, churches, libraries that had genealogical collections, historical societies, war memorials, and travel/tourism places. I also enjoy posting autographs and photos of famous people I've met or have seen.

Along with my New England roots, other areas include New York, New Jersey, Michigan, Illinois, Wisconsin, and the Eastern Townships of Quebec, Canada.

Please check out the labels on the right side for topics (please note, they need work). Below the labels and pageviews is a listing of my top nine posts, according to Google. Four of them pertain to Lowell, MA. These posts change often because they are based on what people are reading.

Tuesday, November 10, 2015

She Died a Virgin in Woburn, Massachusetts -- Tombstone Tuesday

Here lyes the Remains of
Mrs. ELIZABETH COTTON
Daughter of the Rev.
ROLAND COTTON late
of Sandwich Decd. Who Died
a VIRGIN October 12, 1742
Aetatis 46.
"If a Virgin Marry She hath not Sinned Nevertheless Such shall have trouble in the Flesh, but He that giveth her not in Marriage doth better, She is happier if She so abide"

The size and angle of this stone is what enticed me to walk up the hill to read it. However, the 2007 FindAGrave photo is totally in a different position. It looks like the stone was raised.

FOLLOW UP: On November 21, 2015, I was  in this cemetery again, and could see that the above tombstone was no longer upright. Upon investigating, I saw that it was now flat, and face down on the ground! I'm sharing my new photo below.

First Burial Ground
Woburn, Middlesex Co., Massachusetts