Pages

The Life From The Roots blog topics have changed several times since I began this blog in 2009. I initially wrote only about the family history I had been working on for 20 years. Years later, I was into visiting gardens, historical homes, churches, libraries that had genealogical collections, historical societies, war memorials, and travel/tourism places. I also enjoy posting autographs and photos of famous people I've met or have seen.

Along with my New England roots, other areas include New York, New Jersey, Michigan, Illinois, Wisconsin, and the Eastern Townships of Quebec, Canada.

Please check out the labels on the right side for topics (please note, they need work). Below the labels and pageviews is a listing of my top nine posts, according to Google. Four of them pertain to Lowell, MA. These posts change often because they are based on what people are reading.

Thursday, July 19, 2018

The Nicest Surprises Come from Blog Readers


What a surprise to hear from somebody who was interested in a priest. She found me because of my 4 photo blog, and a few searchable words on the cemetery sign, published October 2012.

This is not the first time somebody has contacted me regarding a post, but when Annalisa, the reader, wrote the following, I knew I had to help in some way.

"I'm writing you from Anchorage, Alaska.  I am researching St. Francis Seminary and saw your blog.  I'm trying to find some information on a Father Michael DiPietro who I believe is buried there in that cemetery.  He befriended my parents back in 1962 in Germany and I'd like to know more about him.  The only thing I have found is his obituary.  

Since your picture showed up on the St. Francis Seminary website I'm wondering if you live close to the seminary.  I'm hoping to find a picture of Father DiPietro and more information about his life."


I was quite familiar with this Seminary, mostly because I have been past it many times, and hated the fact that the entire building had been razed for the sole purpose of putting up ugly houses. Quite a few years ago, maybe 15-20, my husband and I used to go to their annual fall craft fair. It was always crowed, and lots of fun.  It was then that we discovered the small cemetery, set in the back, among the many trees. So when the Seminary was taken down, we always wondered about the cemetery, but never dared to go back there because of all the construction and Do Not Enter signs.

When I received her letter, I decided why not go now, an early Sunday morning when we wouldn't disturb anybody. As soon as we got to the circular cemetery, my husband took a right on the pathway, and found Rev. DiPietro's grave, his was the 2nd grave! I had just closed my car door.

For genealogy friends, there was nothing on FindAGrave.com, so I just started a page, and added the dates for Rev. DiPietro. I would love to do all the stones, I think it is a doable task, but it has to be in cooler weather.

Below are the obituary of Rev. DiPietro, Annalisa sent me, photos taken rainy Sunday morning (to be retaken on a better day), and a few links about the Seminary.


Transcribed by blog reader.
"Father Michael V DiPietro of Mt. Alvernia Seminary, died at St. Francis Hospital  He was a retired Army Lieutenant Colonel, having served as a chaplain in World War II.  A native of Cambridge, Mass, Father DiPietro was born November 4, 1911, the son of Joseph and Michaela Bertolami DiPietro.  He is survived by two brothers, Salvatore DiPietro, Pittsburg, PA., and Guy DiPietro, Cambridge, Mass."

While doing research on the Seminary, I found a detailed report of the property done by Andover Historic Preservation. If you have Andover ancestors, this can be a very useful site. Check out Search Historic Buildings tab.

The last two paragraphs read: "In July 1991 the Seminary reopened and the Secular Franciscan fraternity returned to celebrate their 40th anniversary. It continued under the name of St. Francis Institute and the building was until recently still in use. The property now contains 69 acres which includes a small cemetery for former priests that worked and lived at the Seminary. Most, if not all, of the former Hood Farm structures have been razed for re-development or destroyed by fire over the years.
The Seminary building was razed in 2016 to make way for new housing."
Demolition of St. Francis Seraphic Seminary, Andover MA is on YouTube, about a 11 minute video. At least watch for the first minute and 25 seconds, as there are old photos of the Seminary. Some of the comments are quite sad.



Unfortunately there are no signs pointing to the cemetery, so my husband took these, as I wanted Annalisa to see how to get there.

The above sign, on River Road, Andover, just two blocks from Tewksbury, MA is where you should turn to get to the cemetery, and just ahead is their building. Go straight.

Husband walking into the cemetery, and by the time I caught up to him, he had found the cemetery stone.
Darn houses.

St. Francis Seminary property, this is next to the cemetery.

Unfortunately, I wasn't able to find additional information about Rev. DiPietro, but perhaps a reader might have suggestions.


I have decided not to use the Comment feature for my blog. If you would like to leave a comment for me or ask a question, please write me at my email: BarbaraPoole@Gmail.com. Thank you.

My reason is because since November 2017 to May 2018, I received no comments, but upon investigating I found that I had indeed received 167 legitimate ones and 1,000 were in the spam folder. Google Blogger had made some changes that I was unaware of. Please be aware that I do not know who reads my blog, I may know who subscribes, but that is all.