After almost 15 years of blogging, and writing close to 1,500 posts, I rarely wrote anything about my parents. I always enjoyed reading other bloggers' reports about their parents or about their happy childhoods. I wished I had experienced the same. I don't have to tell you about my childhood because my aunt and grandparents will tell you in their letters below. I was 20 when I received this letter.
Scroll down.
My Aunt Barbara, she was 75 when this was taken
I wrote to my Aunt Barbara about my secret plan to move from home and she responded:
"January 3, 1964
Dear Barbie,
Your letter just came and I'm sitting right down to answer it so I hope you get it when you go to work on Monday.
Scrib, your Grandfather and Grandma Edna and I have known about what has been going on in your house for years. We just can't stand the way your mother and afather treat you. We have always noticed how nice they can be to C. & S. but how mean they are to you.
This is one reason we don't come up to see you because we hate hearing them make unkind remarks to you. It is a wonder you didn't run away from home long ago. We just don't see how you can take it. I'm so glad you wrote to me because I always wondered how much it bothered you. You always seemed to take it like a lady.
We have talked a lot about you with your grandparents. You have always been our favorite. None of us know quite what to do for you. I'm going to send your wonderful letter to them in Florida to see if they can do something. I have always wanted to say something to your mother about you but never had the nerve, now I think it's time I write something. (I won't tell her that you wrote to me.)
I'm sorry that your mother and father fight at the table. They shouldn't fight in front of you, but try not to let it bother you. Just ignore them and you 3 try to stick together and be happy. We think it is unfair that your rent has been raised. I will try to find out why." Note: There were other paragraphs, but the above are relevant to my leaving and their thoughts. [Scrib is my aunt's husband, S & C abbreviations of my sisters. I was living in Chelmsford, MA, my aunt lived in Vermont and my grandparents lived in Connecticut but were wintering in Florida.]]
I moved on January 6th and received a letter from my grandparents, as shown below.
"January 18, 1964
Dear Barbara,
Your Aunt Barbara enclosed your letter of Jan. 1st in a letter received from her a few days ago so that we would know the reasons for your leaving home. We think you were courageous in your decision and agree wholeheartedly with it. It is a fine thing for any young person your age to become an independent person regardless of how happy your home life is, but in your case, it was an absolute necessity if you were to become a healthy adjusted young woman.
Your Aunt Barb has been wonderful but please feel free to write if you need help or advice. Our address for another month or so will be, Pompano Beach, Florida
Can you prepare your own meals or does the "Y" have a restaurant? We hope you can get your own. When we go home we hope you will come down for a weekend. Your Grandfather can give you some brotherly advice and I should love to help you learn a few of the fundamentals of cooking. (Note: my mother went to 8 years of high school and college, away from home.)
Your father had no right to demand a $25 board from you, and of course, by doing so he forced you away from home.
We want to give you every encouragement, Barbie, and we know you will be a credit to your family.
Our only advice at this time is to be very careful of the friendships you make, for they will become a reflection of your own character. Your grandfathers' pet phrase is "Don't deliberately distance your destiny."
Please be assured we will never preach to you, but we can't help but attempt to give you direction.
Please write soon, for you are always in our hearts.
Much love, Grandpa and Grandma Edna"
My grandparents.