My blog has been changed to make it more appealing for those who have New England ancestors and want to see the area through photos. Things I’ll include are typical white New England churches, libraries showing their genealogical collection, historical societies, cemeteries, war memorials, in general, anything to do with history.

For four years I’ve blogged mostly about my personal genealogy in New England (Connecticut, Massachusetts, Vermont, and New Hampshire), New York, New Jersey, Michigan, Illinois, Wyoming, and the Eastern Townships of Quebec, Canada. I still will, can’t forget my own roots.

Please check out the labels on the right side for articles. The header tabs at the top are a work in progress.

Friday, September 23, 2011

Are You Visiting NEHGS? #2


Recently, I've posted blogs about the New England Historic Genealogical Society (NEHGS) in Boston, links below. Hopefully, the photos and bits of information will be helpful to the new visitor.

Are You Visiting NEHGS? #1




Today's post is the NEHGS Library Guide, a useful handout to help you find the kind of resources you are looking for (See scanned image below) and a link to their website, American Ancestors (link goes to free site). I believe one of the more useful databases is the Library Catalog. Using the catalog, you can pretty much decide on which books to look for.



___________
Permission granted to copy and post by NEHGS.



2 comments:

True said...

I was very disappointed when I read your last post and read this: "You may want to bring your camera for copying pages, no portable hand-held scanners are allowed."

While it is true that hand-held scanners are prohibited because of the rubbing required, flatbed scanners are fine, as mentioned in the library guide. If visitors don't want to bring their own flatbed scanners, there's one available in the corner on the 4th floor.

I had to mention this because it breaks my heart to see patrons waste money on photocopying or take pictures of individual pages when they can scan for free.

Barbara Poole said...

True, I wrote this post specifically for a group of 50 (on a cruise) who will be visiting one day. I doubt any will bring their own scanner or will want to wait in line to scan. So in this case, taking pictures might be their best option.