Pages

The Life From The Roots blog topics have changed several times since I began this blog in 2009. I initially wrote only about the family history I had been working on for 20 years. Years later, I was into visiting gardens, historical homes, churches, libraries that had genealogical collections, historical societies, war memorials, and travel/tourism places. I also enjoy posting autographs and photos of famous people I've met or have seen.

Along with my New England roots, other areas include New York, New Jersey, Michigan, Illinois, Wisconsin, and the Eastern Townships of Quebec, Canada.

Please check out the labels on the right side for topics (please note, they need work). Below the labels and pageviews is a listing of my top nine posts, according to Google. Four of them pertain to Lowell, MA. These posts change often because they are based on what people are reading.

Thursday, May 29, 2014

Harvard Public Library, Harvard, Massachusetts (History / Genealogy Room)

Although I have often been through the small town of Harvard, Massachusetts, I had never seen the Library. We found it recently, and I'm so glad to say, it has one of the best genealogy and local history sections I've seen. The Harvard Public Library isn't old but looks it because it is attached to an old school (I believe) as you can see from the two following photos.

I introduced myself to the librarian, and she was happy to show us the locked room where the local history and genealogy books were held. There were great resources, and I only wished I had more than 32 people in my tree with Harvard roots, so I could make use of this room.


While looking at the holdings, my husband brought me a book, see below. I was thrilled, since I wrote a post about Brook Farm in Roxbury, Massachusetts last year. The interesting thing is, I'd never seen this book, and the library at NEHGS doesn't have a copy.

When I asked the librarian where the original library was, she pointed to the photo above. Yes, it was still standing, and after we got directions, off we went to find it, in the center of town. It is now used for an art center, I believe.