My blog has been changed to make it more appealing for those who have New England ancestors and want to see the area through photos. Things I’ll include are typical white New England churches, libraries showing their genealogical collection, historical societies, cemeteries, war memorials, in general, anything to do with history.

For four years I’ve blogged mostly about my personal genealogy in New England (Connecticut, Massachusetts, Vermont, and New Hampshire), New York, New Jersey, Michigan, Illinois, Wisconsin, and the Eastern Townships of Quebec, Canada. I still will, can’t forget my own roots.

Please check out the labels on the right side for articles. The header tabs at the top are a work in progress.

Wednesday, May 28, 2014

Memorial Hall Library, Andover, Massachusetts (Genealogy Sections)

I was very anxious to get back to this library, the Memorial Hall Library in Andover, since it's been about 15 years, and I was curious about their genealogy collection now. The library has a large addition, but managed to keep very little of the original library structure, which I was sad to see.

The main reference desk, with original clock.
This is the genealogy room for the public. (Above and two photos below.)


I learned that the special collection is now in a closed off area, but because I was able to explain to the Librarian what I was doing, he was very happy to show me the room and explain what they had.


Jay Leno is from Andover, Massachusetts. If I remember correctly, he signed the book.

A little bit of old.
Parking meters are in the rear of building, and even with the lot, finding a space could be difficult. The Library is on a main street at a major intersection.

From the Library site is the Abbott Genealogies collection.
"Andover genealogist Charlotte Helen Abbott wrote these unpublished genealogies. Earlier versions of some genealogies were published in the Andover Townsman, the local newspaper. They generally cover older Andover families through the late 19th century. Miss Abbott's genealogies are subjective and rich with anecdotes, but list few sources. Kay O’Neil, with the cooperation of the Andover Historical Society, worked to digitize the typescript manuscript. Originals are also held at Memorial Hall Library."


A list of all the libraries with genealogy departments I've visited in New England and New York is below. All are linked to my post for that particular library.


MASSACHUSETTS











4 comments:

Joyce said...

My children and I spent many lovely hours in the new library. I remember checking books out for my grandmother from the old library. What's left of the old building is mostly used as office space and librarian's stacks.

Glad to see you included Jay Leno!

Barbara Poole said...

Joyce, It's always nice having a good memory with a library in it. It's a lovely building, although I'm not sure why they chose to put it on the corner of a major intersection, but back then, they didn't even have cars!
Yeah, I almost mentioned the cemetery where Jay's father is buried, but I held back. Thanks for the comment.

thesilverofhisfining said...

That intersection has always been busy, due to the number of streets which intersect. When I was a child the policeman's box was still in the intersection, though it was not in use, from pre-traffic light days.

My grandparents and aunt are in Spring Grove Cemetery. Lots of memories of tending the grave with my mother and aunt.

I love your combination of flowers, history, libraries, and cemeteries :-)

Barbara Poole said...

Thank you thesilverofhisfining for your comments. I am not familiar with the Spring Grove Cemetery, so I'll try to remember to check it out. When I took the photo of the library, I had to stand in the "policeman's box" was scary, but fortunately everybody saw me!
I try hard to incorporate flowers in all my posts, and I do have a thing for cemeteries and libraries...glad you caught that.