Pages

My blog has been changed to make it more appealing for those who have New England ancestors and want to see the area through photos. Things I’ll include are typical white New England churches, libraries showing their genealogical collection, historical societies, cemeteries, war memorials, in general, anything to do with history.

For four years I’ve blogged mostly about my personal genealogy in New England (Connecticut, Massachusetts, Vermont, and New Hampshire), New York, New Jersey, Michigan, Illinois, Wisconsin, and the Eastern Townships of Quebec, Canada. I still will, can’t forget my own roots.

Please check out the labels on the right side for articles. The header tabs at the top are a work in progress.

Tuesday, September 30, 2014

Ogunquit Memorial Library, Ogunquit, Maine (History and Genealogy Section)

Ogunquit, Maine

I have been by this charming library many times, but because of limited parking and way too many cars and walkers on the street, we never stopped in. Recently, we left extra early for a coastal trip, and this was our first stop, were there at 10 and got one of their few parking spaces.

One librarian was working, and was very helpful in answering my questions. They even have WiFi, which surprised me. Although small and filled with books, there are no future plans to enlarge, even though they have the space.







FREE MEMORIAL LIBRARY
OF
OGUNQUIT MAINE
ERECTED IN MEMORY OF
GEORGE M. CONARROE
OF PHILADELPHIA  PENNA.
BY HIS WIFE   AUGUST 1897

2 comments:

John D. Tew said...

As always some great photos! When I was young and we lived in Salem Depot and then Concord, NH we used to go up to Ogunquit, Maine fairly often. We would swim at the beach and picnic at Cape Neddick. A favorite was the Cape Neddick Lobster Pound where we would have lobster we would pick out of the tank. I notice it is still there and in business these five decades or so later. Thanks for bringing these memories back. ;-)

Barbara Poole said...

John, I can't begin to describe how crowded Cape Neddick and Ogunquit were this past Saturday. It was like a Labor Day weekend. Love bringing memories to you.