Pages

My blog has been changed to make it more appealing for those who have New England ancestors and want to see the area through photos. Things I’ll include are typical white New England churches, libraries showing their genealogical collection, historical societies, cemeteries, war memorials, in general, anything to do with history.

For four years I’ve blogged mostly about my personal genealogy in New England (Connecticut, Massachusetts, Vermont, and New Hampshire), New York, New Jersey, Michigan, Illinois, Wisconsin, and the Eastern Townships of Quebec, Canada. I still will, can’t forget my own roots.

Please check out the labels on the right side for articles. The header tabs at the top are a work in progress.

Tuesday, January 6, 2015

Genealogy Do-Over without Using the Internet

How do I work on my genealogy research without the internet and still participate in Thomas MacEntee’s Genealogy Do-Over for 2015?

When Thomas MacEntee mentioned his Genealogy Do-Over, for genealogists, I got pretty excited. After 25 years of doing research, I’m ready for a partial do-over, but not one in which I start from scratch. With over 44,000 names in my data base, I feel I wouldn't survive the Genealogy Do-Over challenge, nor would my ancestors.

Without the internet for almost three weeks, I've had plenty of time to think about where I want to go with my genealogy goals for 2015. During my down time, I’ve been able to accomplish things I've always put aside in order to spend time reading facebook, reading posts and writing my own blog at Life From The Roots. Out of necessity, I had to find ways to continue with my research and organizing.

So what have I been able to do?

I went through xerox copies of book pages taken at various libraries many years ago, and entered the data on my RootsMagic6 database. There are many more to do, and this will keep me busy for many weeks. As I go along, I'll keep notes of what sources I need to locate on-line. This report and others done today are being done at my local library.

Located images of book pages I took at libraries on my iPad and transcribed them to my database. Taking photos of books with the iPad Air is incredibly easy, all pages are sharp and easy to read or if not quite so, I can enlarge each page.


A fun project was deleting over 13,000 photos from the 33,000 in my hard drive, thereby making it easier for me to locate images and photos for future posts. I hope this task will save me time during my future back-up process. My current 20,000 are not in any particular order, everything is by date. As long as my brain's memory holds out, I think I'll be fine. But, yes I should have labeled and tagged everything.


I've merged duplicate sources into one. And, along this line, check for consistency. If I have the state abbreviation of MA it needs to be changed to Massachusetts, and county needs to be co. I recently changed all my Brome and Missisquoi counties in Quebec to read, Brome-Missisquoi Regional County Municipality, Quebec, Canada.


The last thing that’s kept me busy is reading several genealogy magazines and journals. Something I normally didn’t have time for.


I've even thought about several major projects I want to accomplish during the Do-Over time-frame, when the internet is up and running again. My thinking about ideas for improvement flows freely. I love it!


5 comments:

... said...

Love your clarity and focus! Go get 'em!

One thing that might help speed up your picture stuff.... On your Mac you could command+click similarly themed or subject photos (say "cemereteries and tombstones" and then right click and give that "set" a tag color. Then resort your photos by tags, they'll move up and tackle another chunk. And so on. This way you don't have to relabel each one either. When done you'll have visually easily identifiable what belong to what, and can sort by themes (you can relabel the names themselves, not just leaving the, as colors too!)

... said...

oh yeah... One other thing. I found it far easier to export my GEDCOM to work on merging my duplicate sources. Make a back up of everything of course first. Then, export the GEDCOM and open it in a text application (Macs aren't good with this one, I open Parallels and use Notepad on my virtual Windoze machine).

Check the file (Control F) for a know source, and a duplicate. Copy the source you want to keep and "simply" copy over and paste the old source away. It s a little tricky at first to make sure you're ccpvering all the correct brackets and tag markers but soooooo much faster... Find next, replace. Find next replace and so on.

When you're done save your text file with .ged as the extension and then import it into your genealogy software. Save that file as a DIFFERENT one than your original until your sure it's done what you wanted to do. Duplicate sources should be gone now.

Barbara Poole said...

Hi,
Thank you for your comment and compliment. Unfortunately, I don't have a Mac, only an iPad. I don't know if we are fb friends, but between you and me, once I got the laptop home from the library, the laptop is now suddenly fine!!! Quick speed, and no problems (after all of 2014) I'm not sure if the fast library speed triggered something in the laptop, but it worked. After two days, I'm still in shock. I haven't told anybody because I don't want to jinx my luck...I'm trying to do as much as possible on my beloved computer. Wish me luck.

my Heritage Happens said...

So much we can always do, I still have tons of scanning and reading to do. Glad your machine took a second life! I am trying to get rid of malware on my MacBook Pro. Great post!

Barbara Poole said...

Cheryl, I hadn't planned on writing that post, but I accomplished so much, I thought, why not? I hope you can get your laptop fixed soon. Speaking of computers, my husband bought a Samsung Chromebook this afternoon. It's always something when it comes to technology, isn't it. Thanks for leaving your comment.