Pages

My blog has been changed to make it more appealing for those who have New England ancestors and want to see the area through photos. Things I’ll include are typical white New England churches, libraries showing their genealogical collection, historical societies, cemeteries, war memorials, in general, anything to do with history.

For four years I’ve blogged mostly about my personal genealogy in New England (Connecticut, Massachusetts, Vermont, and New Hampshire), New York, New Jersey, Michigan, Illinois, Wisconsin, and the Eastern Townships of Quebec, Canada. I still will, can’t forget my own roots.

Please check out the labels on the right side for articles. The header tabs at the top are a work in progress.

Wednesday, January 7, 2015

There Is A Lot to Like About Lowell -- Prince Spaghetti of Lowell, Massachusetts

"There is A Lot to Like About Lowell" is the city slogan.
(See tab on right side called "Lowell Series" for many more articles about Lowell.)


Prince Spaghetti of Lowell, Massachusetts
Home of Prince Spaghetti, Lowell, Massachusetts

I am including my employment at Prince Spaghetti as one of my things I like about Lowell. When I got the job, my mother-in-law was thrilled, since she had worked there in the 40s. I began working there the 8th year of being owned by Borden, and lasted just two years before Borden sold the company in 1997. Below are various photos I took during my employment.
The building in red brick is the original plant (where all offices, shipping, quality control, mini grocery store and the Prince museum) and the large white/grey building was where the pasta was manufactured.



Courtyard of The Grotto Restaurant facing the old and new buildings. Below are two railroad cars. There was also a fleet of large trucks with the same logo.


Original business envelope.
A cook's paper hat, front and back. Some employees got together for dinner the week after the plant closed, and we signed our names.

Paper place mat (above).
 The small book, Prince Treasury of Italian Recipes has 305 pages.
The above items were used for advertising the Prince Spaghetti Company and their restaurant, The Grotto Restaurant in Lowell, Massachusetts.

News article dated May 20, 2015, "International data-storage firm to purchase Prince plant" Update:  The Lowell Sun article dated June 17, 2015 Markley seals deal for data center at former Prince plant 

UPDATE: Article in The Lowell Sun for Feb. 1, 2016, Prince site gets royal makeover.

1 comment:

John D. Tew said...

Barbara: I remember well "Wednesday Is Prince Spaghetti Day!" from growing up in New England. A nice post that brought back warm memories. Thanks.