Pages

The Life From The Roots blog topics have changed several times since I began this blog in 2009. I initially wrote only about the family history I had been working on for 20 years. Years later, I was into visiting gardens, historical homes, churches, libraries that had genealogical collections, historical societies, war memorials, and travel/tourism places. I also enjoy posting autographs and photos of famous people I've met or have seen.

Along with my New England roots, other areas include New York, New Jersey, Michigan, Illinois, Wisconsin, and the Eastern Townships of Quebec, Canada.

Please check out the labels on the right side for topics (please note, they need work). Below the labels and pageviews is a listing of my top nine posts, according to Google. Four of them pertain to Lowell, MA. These posts change often because they are based on what people are reading.

Sunday, June 12, 2022

My Fashion History Continues Part 2 (1979-1994)

This post is a continuation to My Clothes History through Photos and Diary (1964-1978).

In January 2020, I was busy getting rid of some clothes that didn't fit and trying to decide what to do with them. None needed to be tossed, but should be donated. My decision was made to photograph the items I wouldn't keep because they all had memories attached to them. It is indeed my history. I remember where and when I bought them and where I wore them. I frequently bought certain labels, they were Talbots, Liz Claiborne, and Jones New York. In 1979 I was working at the Veterans Affairs building in DC, 2 blocks from the White House. Naturally, I wanted to be stylish and there were plenty of stores in which to shop during lunch. I loved the Garfinckel's, the Hecht Co., Woodward & Lothrop, Lord and Taylor, and Talbots stores.

I realize I have shared a lot in this post, but it is for my own benefit and memory. However, I thought somebody would get a kick out of some styles we all wore. Not only do the clothes elicit a memory, but the memory also brings thoughts to working in DC, both at the Veterans Affairs and the Daughters of the American Revolution (DAR).

The VA is the triangle-shaped building on the upper right side. (I took this picture from the tall Washington Monument in 1976.)

I am writing this history of my love affair with clothes for several reasons.
I can now get rid of some clothes, especially those that don't fit, and with this blog, I will always have photos of my past wardrobe.
Some clothes that still fit and I wear are documented for memory. It is amazing how much you forget over the years, especially for a 75+-year-old who has moved many times. These photos keep the memories fresh.

Hold tight, below is the outfit I wore to meet my future daughter-in-law and her family in 1980. I think it was the first time I ever wanted to impress somebody. This year the wool sweater and dark pencil skirt were given to my very thin neighbor. I had a light grey/blue silk blouse to wear with this, and it still fits me. My daughter-in-law doesn't remember this outfit. Even though I explained it in detail.
This was a Jones of New York 100% wool and fully lined.






At a gathering for my grandfather's funeral in 1981, I wore this two-piece cotton outfit, which was a favorite of mine. It was made by Jones New York. I loved the lace collar.









Nothing special about the dress, but I sure loved these dark brown shoes. I'm not a shoe person at all, and these were the only stylish shoes I've ever worn. I remember walking all around DC wearing them. I wouldn't now! I also wore a jacket to work most days. When I left Virginia I had 15 dress jackets (have kept three Talbots that still fit).
Max Cleland was watching over the Veteran's Affair's birthday cake.
I was wearing a pink and white wrap dress by Diane Von Furstenberg, I wore this to help celebrate a new stamp to honor the 50 years of the VA's years of service. Max Cleland was the Administrator of the VA.

Another Liz Claiborne outfit. I gave the two-piece outfit to my neighbor.

I loved this skirt, but it was a tad too small, so I gave it to my neighbor. In the below photo, I was wearing this orange/red print skirt. The other two women were VA pals and we spent a long weekend in New York City, seeing Chorus Line and all the other touristy things.
My neighbor got the Liz Claiborne skirt and I kept the top. This print is so me.

This is a Liz Claiborne two-piece outfit. I gave my neighbor the skirt and I kept the top. Note: Both of the Liz Claiborne tops had shoulder pads.

Another wool skirt the neighbor got.

One of my favorite outfits is by Alpert Nipon, which cost $138, bought in 1983, I still have the sales slip. There was a black dressy bow tie for under the collar that I kept, but my neighbor got the outfit.

I loved wool sweaters. I gave these to my neighbor.

Red wool Pendelton suit, I gave to my neighbor. I always felt overdressed when I wore this. Although just a suit, it was a bit too fancy for workdays at the DAR.
The top purple-grey blouse is silk, and the bottom is white satin, both fit perfectly. Still in my closet, waiting for the perfect occasion to wear. I also have three other blouses I can't part with.

This blue and black plan washable wool-heavy shirt has an interesting story. 
Although it belonged to my friend Mark Sherman, a co-worker at the Veteran's Affairs, he gave it to me before he departed DC for a brighter future in Hollywood, filming movies. He learned how to make movies on his job at the VA. We had a lot of fun, and this shirt/jacket represents happiness when I think of him, and also when I wear it on cooler days. Note: January 2024, I gave it away recently. But at least I have a photo.


This coat was hardly ever worn. One of my co-workers, Rita Montgomery, and I went shopping one noon in DC and saw this in a window. She had to buy it, but I, without thinking I did the same thing. We each bought them at half price, spending $400 on the cashmere wrap coat. It was too fancy to wear to my DC job. It remained in my hope chest for 30 years, then last year, I gave it to my neighbor along with the other clothes. Then I asked for it back so I could take this picture. We then agreed I'd keep it until she wanted to wear it. So now, neither of us has worn it in over a year. It fits perfectly. And it's in my closet, keeping the story with it.

Pre 1989 purchased sweaters that I still wear.

The Carol Reed lined wool skirt that I could wear if I had a place to go! I bought it in North Conway, NH, during a trip from Virginia.


One of my favorite outfits, purchased in Talbots just before I left employment at the DAR in 1994. Still fits perfectly, except, the skirt is the old style...long length. It can be rolled under the jacket tho.

Two washable light wool skirts I bought in London. I could still wear them. During my two trips to London, I also visited a Laura Ashley shop and bought several blouses in London and NYC. In addition to these winter skirts, I bought two summer ones, I gave them away last year.

Matti of Lynne dress I bought to wear to my husband's reunion. It still fits, but is way too long now...that was the style in the early 80s. I recently hemmed it.

There are two Pendleton jackets purchased at outlets The pink plaid was from Pennsylvania between 1980-1980. The other jacket is a Brooks Brother corduroy green lightweight jacket bought at Shelton's on Sept. 12, 1990, in York, Maine, now out of business. I went to that store every time to buy something. I have since given both away.


This Vanity Fair bed jacket and pajama pants were bought in Reading, PA at their massive factory outlet. We went twice a year.  The original pajama top was so tattered and worn, that I threw it out, but I took a photo at the last minute. It lasted a good 35 years. The pants are faded because of all the washings, but the lace on the sides and leg bottoms are still intact. I also have saved and can wear 4 velour tops.

The other day, I showed my niece two of the light velour bathrobes I bought so long ago. Pink is for summer, and maroon is for winter. Hardly ever wear them, but I just don't want to part with them.

Another outlet I liked was the Barbizon store in Freeport, Maine. My Virginia husband loved Maine so we went up there quite a few times. This long nightgown has hardly been worn. I think because I have to hem it. I have since hemmed it. It is over 45 years old and still looks new.

We faithfully visited and shopped at LL Bean's in Freeport, Maine, but I don't have anything over 26 years old.

The last pair of shoes I bought in DC, in 1994. Yes, still fits, but where am I going to wear them to? And yes, the style is obsolete for now.

When I moved to my town in Massachusetts, I had one executive-type job, but I always seemed to be overdressed.
Here I am at the right. The Plant Manager of Prince Spaghetti is in the yellow long-sleeved shirt and tie, the others are in accounting or various department heads. A couple of the women never wore dresses or skirts, let alone jackets. I actually think people were getting relaxed about dressing up. Even though my husband worked in an office, he was able to wear jeans on Friday. I wore some of what I had and bought other clothes at either Macy's, Talbots, Marshalls, and more recently Kohl's. It's what I still do today.